TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a Samsung UN60JU7100FXZA LCD TV. WheN I plug it in,

Customer Question

I have a Samsung UN60JU7100FXZA LCD TV. WheN I plug it in, it blinks 5 times and doesn't power up. Any ideas I checked the PS board and didn't notice any blown caps visually and the fuse is ok as well.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 11 months ago.

I'm curious, do you have a voltmeter? Sounds like you might. That may be of use to us. If you have the back off of it, and the TV plugged in, you may want to look at the screen (front or back) first, see if the screen glows when you power it on. If the screen stays on we go to the main board next. If not, we check the behavior of the lamps and check the power supply OR the main board.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a multimeter. The screen does not turn on or glow at all. The LED blinks 5 times then stops when I plug it in.

The LED blinks 5 times then stops when I plug it in.

Samsungs don't use blinking lights as a fail code. That just tells us the TV tried to turn on, and it didn't. Since the LED panel never lit up, not even for a second, we have to use the meter to check some Power on command lines. Actually I think this unit may have a "Force Backlight on" test too. A nifty little test we use out in the field. Let me get you a picture of that.

View post on imgur.com

Do the #1 test first, that way you know the power supply is working. # ***** test is to make sure the remote or pushbuttons isn't bad. If the BLU on and Pow On lines respond as listed in #2 instructions inform me, ok?

Once you get done, post your results. I'll make sure you get the right part. Any questions contact me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I swapped out all boards and ribbon cables with working ones(my brother has the same TV) and to no avail the screen doesn't light up. I also swapped out the jog and I/R sensor. No luck.

That only leaves the LCD panel as your defect. Did you install your boards in his TV and they worked? Don't rate me yet, that's Just Answer's automatic rating that I can't turn off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I installed the boards in his tv and his worked fine.

BN95-01974A is your panel number...but this TV is pretty new and does warrant a call to Samsung for out of warranty part/labor extension from Samsung's Customer Relation division.

This is what you do. Call Samsung 1(###) ###-#### ***** them you had a local TV repair shop check your TV and they said the panel has failed. "Its only XX months/years old and you expected the panel to have a longer lifespan that that. I want this escalated to the customer relation department."

Same person comes on line, sets you up for your nearest Samsung AUTHORIZED servicer. He comes out, tests it, reports his findings to the company, takes pictures, pretty much runs the same tests we have done.

And as long as you haven't damaged the TV yourself, they get you a free panel. Don't tell them you swapped boards with your brother's, just state you had a local repairman test it and he stated it's the panel. If they ask, the repairman wasn't a Samsung authorized servicer.

That information would work for me.