Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

A. I have an older lg plasma TV. From 2007. I got it from a

Customer Question

Heya Tim. I have an older lg plasma TV. From 2007. I got it from a guy at work. It worked at his house but doesn't work here. Light on front blinks white 3-4 times then goes solid red.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have a suggestion that may sound odd, but is probably the right thing to try first:

- re-seat everything.

- that means, make sure all parts are connected well and truly and firmly, by disconnecting or unplugging, blowing dust away, then plugging together again.

I suggest this, because when something doesn't work after it is moved but works before, then it's probable that the moving itself jostled something a little loose. Re-connecting everything, and eliminating dust as a factor, may help with this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so I'm home now and tried that with no luck.

Are any of the boards in edge-connector slots, or similar arrangements ? or in your model, are they all just mounted on metal frameworks, with cables and wires running to each other ?

Does the light on the front still blink 3 times (or is it four times? this is important, as to which it is, 3, versus 4. It cannot be both at once.) ...?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Russel.
So cables connect everything. No boards mate to other boards like a video card mates to the motherboard in a pc.
As far as the front blinking light, it only blinked 4 times once and I didn't see it. My brother was helping and he counted it. All other items it was 3 white blinks then solid red.

OK.

That code is unique, I cannot find a case like it.

You will have to go on general principles for this case. Unless you would like to procure a service manual (that might perhaps have an interpretation for the three-white-blinks-then-red blink code, or other useful information and advice for sure....), you would have to examine all boards closely, check all fuses in holders (there will be one in the power supply module, and two next to each other on another board, both of them next to a red-black-yellow [I think] cable set coming from another board), and dismount boards one by one, and examine the reverse for cold solder joints that need repointing, also examine the boards for obvious brown or burnt spots (in which case that component on the other side is suspect or damaged), and examine the capacitors one by one for signs of leakage, or for signs of bulging of the top or sometimes the sides, and replace those... and of course, clean dust off everything.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I may have misspoke. The white light blinks 3 times then the red light comes on and stays on. It doesn't flash red or blink red. Same as if it was turned off and the red light is always on.

I couldn't find any reference to a blinking *white* light. No such thing was found among many cases searched.

A service manual might help a lot (as I said before.) Would you be interested in a source (or set of sources) for such a service manual, for your type or line of LG model ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The light is on the front of the tv. Not one of the leds on the boards inside. Thus appears to just be a power light.

Right. Power lights are usually where 'flash codes' originate, for TVs.

Would you be interested in a source (or set of sources) for such a service manual, for your type or line of LG model ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Uhhh not really. I was hoping the expertise here would get me all I needed. Not saying you buy it I'm saying i thought there would be knowledge to sort this out. Thought this would go a lot faster as well. Hours in between answers makes it tough to trouble shoot. I'm sure you got things to do but justanswer seemed a lot more helpful form the outside.

I should Opt Out at this point, since I have offered all the help I could but it has proven inadequate in your view. I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts (at no further charge to yourself for their chance at offering more advice on this case), with my apologies.