Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My name is ***** ***** Howell, I recently purchased a

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Howell, I recently purchased a Sceptre U505 television and just connected it today to my DirecTV receiver today. The picture is great however I have no sound and cannot figure out why.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The volume button moves up and down on both the TV and the remote control. But there is not a sound coming from the TV.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Do you have an idea as to what a bit would be? less than 30 minutes or more?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble

Did you purchase this tv new or used?

How did you connect the dtv box (which port/input)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased new.
connected using HDMI2
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to be sure as this is an older (2013) model, so I was surprised to see someone selling them as new still.

Initially, can you please reboot the box by unplugging power to it for 60+ seconds.

if no change, try hooking something else (dvd player, etc) up to that same hdmi2 and tell me if you get sound from it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebooted tv and dtv as requested, did not change. Next changed out the dtv box with different "known good" box still no change. The sound is not coming from the tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming, one last test is to check hdmi1, just to make sure it isn't looking for a pc input port.
If still no change, that indicates a TV issue internally, which I'll elaborate on when you can test further.