Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

RCA Rear Projection Model # R52WH74 TV on light comes on

Customer Question

RCA Rear Projection Model # *****
TV green on light comes on then turns off and then back on only to turn off. Picture never appears on the screen. ??? Watched tv just a couple of days ago. Any answers ????
Please and thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you ever getting any sound from it?
Does the power light come on or flash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound, light comes on then off then on then completely off
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming, Robert.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. This is a rear projection tv from one of the lowest quality tv makers in the industry, and the rear projection technology was obsolete about 5 years before this one was even made. It was built to be very low cost, and as such was very low quality as well, so it is well past its service life at this point

.There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though realistically parts just aren't available and most techs won't work on these sets at all.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range (42" tv, in the $500 range for a 50"+)

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right, thank you. Already took the back off and main control board looking for bulges in the components. So I'll put back together and try the reset. Appreciate it
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well any bulges you may have would be for caps on the power supply.

Ultimately though, even if you find something, other than soldering in replacement caps, tehre isn't mcuh else to do because it is just so difficult to get parts for these, rca does not support them in any form.