Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

42" plasma powers on,but will not power off and the screen

Customer Question

Customer: 42" plasma powers on,but will not power off and the screen is gray.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its a maxent tv,blinking screen was the first issue,second was no picture,but it has sound...replaced main board and still no picture and once powered on it will not power off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
P420542hm8
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks. Is the sound working as normal? Also if you grab the original TV remote and press MENU, will the MENU display?

How long have you owned the TV for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sound is working,but no display and the remote isn't working with the tv?Also the TV will not power off.I've had the TV for 8 years.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board or Mainboard being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No change after reset.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and unfortunately if the TV's own MENU will not display then this indicates a hardware failure within the set that requires service. The common causes are a bad Mainboard or Power supply. In order to narrow it down further, voltages must be tested within the set and ultimately components replaced to fix the TV. If you have this done at a shop you're looking at between $250-$300 parts and labor. I'm sorry for the bad news an wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What should the voltage on the fuses on the power board measure when set turned on.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

The fuses are not where the voltages need to be measured. It's at the outputs of the power board and should be stamped next to the connectors on this board.