Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  3 years experience
15852642

My Sony Bravia 40EX400 is giving me a 6 red flash with

Customer Question

Hello. My Sony Bravia 40EX400 is giving me a 6 red flash with backlight. I thought it was a bad inverter, because I used my multi meter to test it, and when I tested one of the connections on the inverter its like I was completing the connection and the TV would stay on. But after replacing the inverter, I still have same problem. The TV will turn on while making the sound and the Sony logo will come up. It will do that three times, and then flash red power light 6 times. Please help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Do you get 24V output at connector of power supply board that goes to backlight inverter board when turn On the TV and before it switch Off with 6 times error code?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it tested like 24-25v
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, have you tried to update TV firmware?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am currently trying that, but I don't think it's the answer because it works when i jump that one inverter in the middle
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Is it always 6 flashes? Or does it do 6 two times and then 7 once for example? Were you able to update the firmware like Shahid asked before? If you did, did anything change?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** received your reply. I will look into it. And no, I haven't updated firmware yet. I don't think I have any flash drives that are big enough and use Fat32. Is the update really 20GB?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Sony logo with sound sequence happens 3 times, and then it keeps doing the 6 flash. I sat and watched it until I got tired of it, and it had done the 6 flash over 20 times

Ok thank you, ***** ***** of the updates can be large. When doing them from a flash drive they can get even larger because they sometimes include operating system updates for the TV. As for your problem please try the firmware update and let me know the results. 6 flashes is a power issue but can be caused by the firmware itself so normally we want to try that before replacing anything like the power supply board. Most computer shops and places like walmart sell 32GB flash drives for under $20. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Sony.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm trying to do the update, but now the TV won't even turn on
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 10 months ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts as that to me sounds like a power supply issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright, well it would be nice if someone would either give me some imputed on that, or refund me if it can't be solved.