Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  3 years experience
15852642

I have a sharp aquos whic when powered on brings up the

Customer Question

I have a sharp aquos whic when powered on brings up the picture flashes for a few times and then goes dark. The front green light then keeps blinking at a steady rate
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opened the back to see for any physical signs of a burnout. Nothing seems to be burnt or charred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently have the back open so can send pictures if required
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by the "hold down sequence" ?

How did you do that exactly ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On one of the forums it stated try holding down the volume - and display button and then power up to reset. That did nothing for me.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I`m not surprised , must be for some other tv brand .

There is a procedure that may look somewhat like that one and that is sharp

If you want to try it perhaps ??

I even got 2 procedures you could try before we get the axe and start chopping :)

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the power cord and while holding down volume down and INPUT directly on the tv , plug in the power cord .

Tell me if the tv comes on in service mode with the letter K on the screen ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Or this one that can be useful when troubleshooting backlighting problems , it the FORCE procedure ,it bypass the TV's shutdown circuit ;

Same thing as above but this time while pressing the vol+ and channel down buttons , again directly on the tv , not the remote

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The volume down and input - then plug in - the picture came up. Sound came up. Then the display blinked a few times and went dark. The sound contimued for sometime and went off. The green power light which was steady until then started blinking. And continues to blink steadily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no K on the screen
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k and how about the second procedure I gave you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry repeated it there was a k on the left of the screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying the second procedurenow now
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

When you saw that K , the picture still went away , is that correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The second procedure same thing except the volume stays on and power light stays on
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k just the picture that still disappears ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

When you say it blinks steadily , is that the power light , opc light or both ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the power cord again and start it normal so that the problem comes back and tell me about the lights

Do they have some pattern like for example 2 power light blinks and 3 opc light blinks and then repeat ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Or is it just a steady blink , no pattern or pause ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just turning it on - display blinks and shuts off. Sound comes on and shuts off the same time the display shuts off. The power light blinks at a steady rate no pattern
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only power light - green - steady blink
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then usually these TV's are pretty good at giving out error codes stored on the main board by the system processor and it does come in handy , especially in a situation like this now , that would allow me to point you in the direction of the problem if not the problem itself.

There is one thing that is assumed when there is no error code and that usually is the main board itself , if it is defective then it cannot diagnose its own brain if you will .

Right now from where I`m sitting this would be the best lead I could give you and also the service manual if you are interested ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

For the brief moments that you can see the picture , does it appear normal or darker in some area ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the main board the one in the center? Typically how much does it cost
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That is the one with the input connectors , in the center would be the power board

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Let me check the prices and availability on this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok. It is the one that is enclosed in a ventilated cover, with a flat cable going in that has the word main on it?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way the main board has the HDMI and vga inputs on it , the other one with the other inputs is the terminal board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the look of it there are quite a few version of that board for your model , take a look at the link below and see if you can identify your board with one of those by part number and note that this link is for ID purpose on it , they are not n stock there .

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LC-52D64U

You can click on the pictures to get more details.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Also looks like that board won`t be cheap by what I can see there , that supplier is one of the reasonable one when it comes to prices

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Take your time I have to step out for a while anyway and once you have found your board let me know and I`ll see about finding it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Merry Christmas by the way!
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes thank you , same to you and your family .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

As I said , take your time , this can be later or even tomorrow , doesn`t matter if it is in 6 months , this post doesn`t close even after rating.

If that answers your questions for now please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing Jack
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and let me know that board number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KE207 with a 0 in the triangle.
Under this is a sticker with
FM01S 2007 8 XSIt seems boards are identified with these codesIt does not have the long code that is on some of the other boards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main board is connected to another board on its right with a black connector. How does one remove this connector? I don't want to break it and create more issues. Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent an image of the connector. It also has the board number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you also mail me the sm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean email me
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m sending this to you right now

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Your main board part number is ***** and here is a link where you can get it ;

http://www.tristatemodule.com/DUNTKE207FM01S-Sharp-TV-Module-Main-Unit-KE207-p/duntke207fm01s.htm

manual coming up

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

got problems uploading that manual but here it is ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncq09w5270x0wqu/sharp_lc-42d64u_46d64u_52d64u_sm.pdf?dl=0

By the way , if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The manual is behind that and you can use the download button.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to attach video of blinking lamp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If after installing a new card it continues to have the same issue would you continue to help?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , was out by the time you replied last night .

Without a blink code and without being there myself with tools and meters I can only take an educated guess but yes I will be here after at any time (as I specified above) if you need help with this.

Looking back at this post I did miss one question and here is a drawing to show you how that connector works , click the link below; https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ux4p6ye42yo51o/2015-12-26_0843.png?dl=0

The picture is behind that .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , wait for the new board before pulling anything out , this is best done all in one shot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will wait as suggested. Ordered the board.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then let me know if you need help when it comes in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack, installed the new board but the issue continues to be the same. The tv behaves exactly the same way as before
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then sorry but without being there with tools and meters this is as far as I can go so I will opt out

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will sit wait for someone else to respond.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Do you have a multi meter you can test the boards with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddie, sorry I was unavailable all day. Will connect with you tomorrow morning @ 9:00 AM EST. if you are available. I do have a very basic multimeter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pardon me just realized I misspelled your name.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

First please test the power supply board here is a video explaining how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvclBfaMXg

After that I suggest testing the inverter following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36w2GNrH6Y

Let me know the results when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy, The board in the video and my tv are totally different. If I send you a picture of the board or back of the board would you be able to tell me which points to test across.I have taken out one of the inverter boards in the right.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

The video is just an example, it will look different but the steps would be the same. If you are still unsure you can test the caps etc instead. The voltage for them will be written on the caps themselves and you would test from the solder points on the under side of the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures attached
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Ok to start please test the blue caps from the under side of the board. They will have the voltage written on them. They are most likely all the same kind. One or two bad caps can cause issues like this. They can also be bad/blown while looking fine. They do not always blow and cause scorch marks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the things I had tried was removing the cables from one side of the inverter boards and switching on the tv. Then repeating that with the other side. When the left side were removed (left looking from behind) there was no picture when I removed the right side cables the full picture was visible for some time and then other picture went off. Sound was good both times.
When everything is connected the picture flickers and goes off sound remains.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

The one you connect and have no picture you will want to test the caps on the way I gave you before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Instead of removing the power board I checked the voltage at the end of the cables that connect to the inverter boards. The cables do show 115 and 140 between the live and each of the white wires, both sides show similar voltages. Does that mean the powerboard is ok?
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

From what you told me before about the inverter boards the power board sounds ok. However you still need to test the caps themselves on the board you get no display from like I said before. If you do not want to do this you can try replacing that entire board. Testing the ribbon cable connections unfortunately will not help. If you do not want to do either of these at all that is ok too, just let me know so I can opt out the same way Jack did before and open this to all experts for you.