Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Cannot get picture or sound on my television. when I turn on

Customer Question

cannot get picture or sound on my television. when I turn on television I get a box in upper left corner of picture that says "cable add on ch 2", then a message comes up that says "weak or no signal, check the antenna cable connection. this problem happened when I reconnected the cable from the cable box to the television, after having disconnected the cable while doing some painting in the room. several times I disconnected and reconnected the cable with no change. I do not seem to have any control of the remote, I can only turn the television on or off
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please give me the tv`s model number ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the problem is not the television, the cable box does not appear to be working, when the television is turned on the cable box does not light up or show the channel number. this box was just installed last summer
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hello , are you saying that the cable box is DEAD , no power ??

You cannot turn it on with its own remote ?

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Although that could be a separate problem , i can tell you that the tv on channel 2 is not good and needs to be set on the correct input or channel if using a coaxial cable in the tv`s antenna /cable terminal

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

How is the cable box connected to the tv ?

What kind of cables ??

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

You did not give me the tv`s model number nor how the cable box is connected to the tv but i would be surpised if it was with a coaxial cable so right now your tv is simply on the wrong input .

Look on it or its remote for a button called SOURCE or INPUT and press it repeatedly while the cable box is turned on , one of those inputs will c onnect to the cable box and if not then please let me have the info i asked above , namely the tv`s model number and how it is connected to the cable box .

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

If the INPUT/SOURCE button does the trick (if not just let me know)as i suspect it will then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we were able to change the channel to channel 3 on the television, still no change on the television. we do not have a separate remote for the cable box, at installation we were told that everything would operate from the xfinity remote
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

The Xfinity remote IS the cable box remote and your tv is not set correctly .

You don`t have the tv`s own remote ??

Are there any buttons directly on the tv , specifically a button called INPUT ??

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Find that INPUT or SOURCE button and your problems are over

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Once you found that button press it repeatedly and it will take you to the correct input where the comcast box is connected .

I will have to step out for a bit and will check back on you when i return but if that does it then please do not forget to rate so i can get paid for my time.

Merry christmas

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
pressing the source button on the television set did not change anything. Samsung model No LN32D430G3D
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Did you just press it once and stopped ??

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

If so then that wont do nothing but sit there , you have to press it REPEATEDLY to go through the INPUTS

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Where is the cable box connected at the back of the tv , what does it say where the cables go into the tv ??

This tv is 32" so it should be easy to look at the back of it