Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My name is ***** *****. My tv will not turn on. The power

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. My tv will not turn on. The power light is blinking 6 times and then pausing and then blinking again
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that is the issue. It will not turn on and is blinking in cycles of 6 repeated blinks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no worries
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: TV
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like my question answered and not have to sign up for a trial. Your site tried to take me back to my paypal account. Why ? I have already paid and not received an answer ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

What is the complete model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
TH-P42X14A
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a bad scan board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. The tv is past its service life at this point

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this age/size, replacement usually makes more sense however. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for the same price or less than repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in Australia and I would most definitely not be able to replace the tv cheaper than the cost of repair ?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Replacement will still be cheaper, my estimates were in USD, but the costs are all relative.

The biggest issue with these tvs is that it is nearly impossible to find parts. If it is the main/a board and not the sc board, which is about a 50/50 chance, that part is not available at all, so you'd be out ~$125 just for diagnostic fees only to find out it isn't even possible to get it repaired at that point.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would love to live in your world where I could buy the same or similar tv for $300 ? I am looking at about $1500 that is why I am doing this. Trying to fix it if I can
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I don't think we are comparing apples to apples here.

Plasma tv is obsolete, so you won't find a new plasma.

Industry standard for a replacement would be a 1080p LED tv. You could even upgrade to a 4k/UHD model for a tiny bit more:

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/tvs/ds-41-5-uhd-dled-lcd-tv-dsau-ge6993

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I'm not trying to discourage you from repairs, I'm just speaking from experience that parts are not available for it, and that replacement truly is the more practical investment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not talking about a new plasma. A new replacement tv whether it be an apple or an orange is going to cost me around $1500. Like I said I wished I lived in your world so I could get a new tv for $300. I would have already purchased one or maybe two at that price then I could have one in the bedroom !!!???
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do hope all this is not going to cost me my $39 ? I am extremely dissatisfied with the answer. I have found videos on you tube describing how to fix the issue ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could someone get back to me ASAP on the status of my account. I need to know if I need to fight the payment being made. Much appreciated. I am now going to follow one of the vidoes I have found on youtube and hopefully fix my tv myself
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Karen, if you wanted to fix it yourself, you needed only say so. That is one of the options I offered, and your only response was to dispute the potential costs. Youtube is not going to help you here - you are unlikely to find a video showing the exact model and error of your set, and even less likely to find one with the exact same underlying cause. Ultimately, this issue will require the replacement of board(s), it is not a simple fix of moving a jumper or replacing a cap, and the bigger issue, as mentioned, is that the boards are simply not available any longer.

Yes, you did pay that fee, per the terms you agreed to, to the site.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. If you wish to continue on after this, I'd be happy to help guide you through the process further.