TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a Mitsubishi DLP WD-62627 tv. Power comes on and I

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi DLP WD-62627 tv. Power comes on and I have picture and sound. Screen has pixeled black vertical stripes on left half side. Black stripe-picture-black stripe-picture etc. Is it the DLP chip gone bad?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 11 months ago.

No, that's normally not the DLP failing. I'd suspect the board that your DLP is mounted on, it's called the DMD board (aka formatter board).

You see a big thick BLACK cable in the center of your TV? That is connected to the DMD board located in the center of your TV set. Unscrew that cable, insert it 3 - 5 time to knock any corrosion off those pins. It may restore your picture. Take a look at this website, that board in the picture is your formatter board. That cable/connector is seen in the picture in the upper right side of that board.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-ck-80l38-06g-formatter-board.htm

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. We did as you suggested, but the black vertical lines are still on the screen. May have to replace the formatter board.

Ok, let's run some more tests to see if we can isolate the problem and make sure it's the formatter -- activate the TV's menu, make sure the menu has the same black bar in it, ok? The menu is the last part of the TV's picture circuits before it gets sent to the formatter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. The menu comes up and is functional with the black strips overlaying it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi..is there anything else to check before we order the board? As instructed, the menu comes up but black lines are still there.

Per Mitsubishi tech site -

Pixilated Picture

Cause 1
1. The menu is affected; suspect the FMT PCB part # *****

Vertical Lines or Bars

Cause 1
1. May be only be only on half of screen, suspect the Optical Engine part # 938P017020

You seem to have the bars on your screen more than the Pixellation (blocks of frozen picture).

I doubt the formatter is the failure, when I compare Mitsubishi's information.