Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Samsung Plasma TV's video doesn't always come on.
,

Customer Question

Customer: My Samsung Plasma TV's video doesn't always come on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It started out doing it once in a while now it does it all the time. I hit the remote and the video doesn't come up only the audio it takes several times and then all of a sudden the video comes on'
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when I try to turn on my TV. The first time I get sound and no picture. Then the second or third time I get picture. Today I had to unplug the TV and try twice to get picture.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hello

From your description this is typical of weak/vented capacitors and i will guess that this tv is 5 years + old ?

could you please give me its model number ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
psBN6402254a2 samsung
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Sorry but that is not the TV's model number , that is a part number on the tv , Samsung puts those BN64 , BN44 on just about everything

Your TV's model may start with the letters PN50 for 50" model PN42 for a 42" model etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's the only number I see on the TV And I am not sure where the paper work is. Any idea where else to look for the number?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Let me see if I can find to which model this part number may belong to ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
found it it's a PN64f5500 which I bought in July of 2013 it's a plasma
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Yes , that's more like it thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Fair bit younger than I first figured too !

You said that this problem gradually got worse over the last few days/weeks ?
Once it is warmed up (1 hour or so) , can you turn it off and on right away normally ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's been going on for quite a while. I have several remotes. originally the cable remote would cut it on. then it quit. I have another Samsung TV and that remote worked for a while. but finally only the remote that came with it would work. If I cut it off it still does the same thing.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

You mean that even after the tv has warmed up you have difficulty turning it back on ?

Even if it is off and right back on ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
although I only tried that a few times. I have been cutting it on in the morning and just leaving it on
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then and about the remotes that stopped operating it , not sure if this is related but once the tv has warmed up do the cable remote works the tv again ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the cable remote always works the TV it will cut it off
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then I`m a bit confused here , you said above it would turn it on ,and then what ?

It stopped turning it on but still turns it off ???

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Never mind that last reply

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

What you have then is a defective main board part # ***** first and a distant second possibility would be the power board but again that's a long shot.

How do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
give me details
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then I can tell you that this board if bought brand new from Samsung will cost $255 at the link below ;

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-BN94-06194C.aspx

Or it can be bought used from independent resellers for around $100 to $150

If repairing this yourself is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $175 +parts and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you