Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My denon reciever is broadcasting sound but not tv

Customer Question

My denon reciever is broadcasting sound for radio but not tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Was the TV sound working before on the Denon, or is this the first time setting is up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was working before
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It just went out
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, There's several ways you can have "TV sound" through the Denon. Do you have a cable box or a SAT box connected to the receiver?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a directv box
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok what should I do ?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

No thank you, ***** *****'t take a phone call right now.

Reboot that box by disconnecting it from power with the Denon shut OFF. Then plug the cable box bac kin and once it reboots turn the Denon back on, and see if the sound is restored.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I will
Reboot
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If the Denon is not on I can't tell when the reboot is finished
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

When the Directv box shows the channel number on it.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Is the box rebooted and do you still have no sound?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rebooted and still no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Any other sources connected to the Denon like a DVD player, etc.? If so, is there sound from that source?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
dvd works fine
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay then the issue is either the DTV box itself- in which case you should contact DirecTv and have them swap it out (as it's their equipment and they're simply renting to you), or you can try a processor reset of the Denon- but you will need to setup the receiver as if it were brand new out of the box. If you choose to go that route the processor reset is on page 138 of the manual below:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20111011084900/Manuals/033/033AV4311C.PDF

However since the Tuner and the DVD player produce sound just fine through the Denon, it really would point to the DirecTv box being the root cause.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You refer going to page 138 and that page refers to other pages . Which page am I going to for setting up tv sound from new standpoint
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

No it does not. Look at the bottom of the page where it says 138. That page clearly says "Resetting of the Microprocessor" on the right hand side of the page. Follow those instructions.

To set the receiver back up, follow the manual from page 1.

Your issue here is really pointing to a faulty DTV box, but if you want to try the processor reset- that's up to you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This issue has happened before and it was never a faulty DTV box but I had techs coming and reset the sond I will look at 138 again
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now I hit some buttons and I don't even get a tv pic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do i rate at ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's done I will have to have someone come out to fix it