Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.
14666028

Cliff. My Magnavox ts2554 c101 TV is out of focus.
, I

Customer Question

Customer: Cliff. My Magnavox Phillips ts2554 c101 TV is out of focus.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I mainly notice it with text.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. There is usually a focus potentiometer adjustment inside the TV. Usually when you look the TV with the back cover removed, the focus adjustment on a CRT tv is on the right on the main board. When playing in a TV you must never touch anything in there or you can, how can i put it simply... die. You have to keep the TV operating to make the adjustment (if posible on a static image, text screen work well for this). I use a mirror to be able to see what i do to the screen. If it is hot, make sure you never go over the TV to not drip sweat in it. If you can use someting in plastic to do the adjustment it is better than a metal screwdriver that can cause a short if you make an error. Usually just some degrees in a sense or the other is enough if the thing got out of alignment because of slight bumping of the TV but it can also get our of focus with time. It is possible that the problem is caused by something else but usually the focus potentiometer can take care of it.