Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Mitsubishi WD65735 model tv and it keeps showing

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi WD65735 model tv and it keeps showing weird images. For ex. the screen will be normal full size and then it will be in black and white.Or it will be normal size and then crop to about a third of the screen size with the picture squished
up to the top. Sometimes it just goes all green. I'll include some pics taken with my phone to help you guys help me fix this. Thanks in advance: Greg
Category: TV
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are 3 pics of some of the issues.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sounds like a digital interpretation error sort of problem.

Either your TV has a bad logic board (at a guess, and I admit it is a guess at this stage), or it has a dirty set of slot connectors and/or board inter-connectors, that need to be undone, cleaned, and re-seated again. (This, depending upon whether it is dusty inside at all... and most probably it is.) That cleaning and re-seating would be done with the power Off, the power cord unplugged, and some hours of its sitting like that in order for all voltages stored in it to dissipate... and even so, some precautions taken against accidental electricity burns.

Also, when and if handling the logic board (the one with all the chips / integrated circuits mounted upon it), anti-static precautions should be observed ... even if that board is probably 'broken' anyway. All the more so, should such precautions be observed, if the logic board is eventually replaced, with handling and putting in any replacement logic board.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay not sure what or where the logic board is but I did replace the dlp chip about 3 months ago along with a new bulb at the same time, would i have had to work with "logic board" at that time? Also after putting it back together there is a 4'-6' shadow along the top of the screen that wasn't there before the replacements. I also have a Mitsubishi WD60737 that I replaced the dlp chip the same time as the WD65735 and have had zero problems with it.Does that help with your diagnosis? Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you send me a picture of what the logic board looks like,what the "slot connectors" look like,and also the inter-connectors look like and what besides compressed air I should use to clean them and what to use to properly re-seat them? Thanks.

This is the main / logic board of the TV:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-934c282001-main-board.htm

This is what the formatter board looks like:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-00-l8851g001-formatter-board.htm

This is the Color Wheel / DMD board / block:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-938p126a50-dmd-board-color-wheel-block-assembly.htm

And this the power supply and chassis:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-955b367001-chassis.htm

Admittedly I am not fully expert on this sort of TV... I have been advising you as if it were an LED TV or a plasma TV. It has a color wheel, so I am not fully up-to-speed on it... and apparently it has no plug-in slots.

I might, at a rather less-than-informed-and-experienced guess, suppose that the color wheel/DMD was what was at fault... after all, look at the color defects! but I really don't know enough to be sure, it simply seems logical. I wouldn't try replacing that part on my say-so. Not without further confirmation from other sources.

So... I think I will Opt Out, to open this case to a more-informed Expert (though you may have to wait a little for the case to be picked up by one) who knows about color wheel TV problems and fixes... and, I advise you to obtain a service manual for this model line. A service manual has information in it that would help you a lot, and make replacing the wrong board/assembly - at your expense! - much less likely.

Would you be interested in a source for such a service manual?

If so here it is, and (rarely enough) it is free-of-charge:

http://audiolabga.com/pdf/V39_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

and this might be useful though it has a small price (it's from a very reliable proven source):

http://www.servicemanuals.net/ServiceManual/MITSUBISHI/WD65735%20SERVICE%20TIPS-%20CLICK%20FOR%20DETAILS/1510294/detail.aspx

I hope this information is helpful... let me know what you think, and if you need any further info I may offer, and after that I will Opt Out in favor of another Expert more throoughly grounded in color wheel TV problems.

And re-seating is simple enough, just do so by hand.

There appear to be only cable connectors in this model, no edge slots.

Cleaning connectors can be done with a clean rag cloth and a little rubbing alcohol moistening the cloth. Or any similar method: alcohol wipes, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
after looking into this,do you feel a good cleaning will fix the problem? After all none of this started until i replaced the dlp chip and like i mentioned the 60" model works great.I know that by itself doesn't mean the 65" is good or bad just seams odd that all this just happened?

Did the problem start *immediately* after the DLP chip replacement?

(And, how long ago was that?)

No, I don't think it's just a cleaning problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the chip was replaced about 3 months ago and the issues started about 1-2 months ago i believe.any buddies you can chat with that may be able to give a more definitive answer,not that i dont appreciate your help just want to know if i should get a new set for xmas or not. you understand right?

I don't think it will be repaired before Christmas at this rate, unfortunately... though there are still 6 days (maybe 3 1/2 business days) and if you hit on the exact right part and ordered Express it might be working by then.

But that requires expertise above mine on color-wheel TVs... so I'm Opting Out, and wishing you well for the season, for sure. Thanks for your patience with my admitted uncertainties on this matter.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Different expert here. I'm Dan. Let me know if you still need help with the Mitsubishi.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dan I do. have you read the statements about what my tv's issues are and do you know what I can do to fix it?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, yes I have gone over your previous conversation and I've seen this issue a handful of times. Let me know when you're back in the chat... I'll be on for most of today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey Dan I'm inn the chat right now, what can you tell me?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dan are you able to chat now? I need to know what to do about my tv.