Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

The colors on my new GPX tv are all screwy and I cannot adj

Customer Question

The colors on my new GPX tv are all screwy and I cannot adj the reds bleed even the black isn't black help
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the complete model number of the tv, please?
Does this happen on all inputs/sources (cable/satellite, dvd, etc)?
Is the gpx on screen setup menu affected also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model# ***** v1168-01
Yes all inputs and the gpx menu screen is Not effected I have tried all manor of adj and settings
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a bad/failing main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These "off brand" sets like the gpx typically have a service life of 2-3 years or so.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though there are generally not parts available for this brand.

For a tv of this age/size/brand, replacement usually makes more sense - you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for $150.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,