Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

TC-P58S1 TV red light flashes 7 times and set will not turn

Customer Question

TC-P58S1 TV red light flashes 7 times and set will not turn on
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what should I write you didn't answer my question? I do not want to be signed up for any monthly service. It is my understanding I am paying for just this answer, when I get it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I was letting you know I'm here and working on your question, please give me a moment to finish responding.

One time service is fine.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a bad su, sd, or sc board(s), though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Realistically though, parts are nearly impossible to find.

For a tv of this size/age (already past its service life) replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $700 range

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** just the information I was looking for. I will thy the plug and if that doesn't work buy a new one.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You're very welcome and best of luck to you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,