Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 50" Pioneer Elite TV (8 years old, roughly). I've

Customer Question

I have a 50" Pioneer Elite TV (8 years old, roughly). I've moved into a new home and the DISH installer has asked me to get a much longer audio & video cable to connect from the television to the Elite receiver box which will no longer be in as close proximity to the television that it has been recently. I have been unable to find a place to purchase a longer cord. I'm hoping you can give me direction to find one. Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, The cable you need is called the Pioneer "System Cable" and consists of a VGA and a DVI cable siamese-tied together. This is a tough cable to find but the combination of a standard DVI-D, and 15 pin HD cable would work. There is a 3Meter at the link below of the pre-made Pioneer cable below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Pioneer-Plasma-TV-System-Cables-3m-PDA-H01-FREE-FAST-DELIVERY-/221967756070?hash=item33ae4f2b26

Or if you'd rather purchase these separately and need a longer length, then let me know how long you need these cables, and I can send a link.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Alternatively though, it would be better for the DISH installer to simply leave the Pioneer's Media Receiver closer to the TV as they are designed to be (the DVI cable will have signal dropouts over about 18 feet), and simply use a longer cable from the DISH receiver to the Pioneer's Media receiver. This would be preferred and actually more reliable.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your first link appears to be the same length I have - (meters & pounds!) . I need 25 feet. I would appreciate that other link. Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

25 feet is considered too long for the Pioneer's system cable for reliable operation. It would make more sense for the DISH installer to run a longer cable from the DISH receiver to the Pioneer's Media receiver instead. Over 18 feet, the DVI cable that Pioneer uses would have signal dropouts- this is simply the protocol for DVI cables. I can still try to locate these cables for you, but at that length you're going to have a less reliable signal transfer to the TV, than you would if the DISH installer simply left the Media receiver close to the TV and ran a longer cable from the DISH receiver. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will show this exchange to the Dish installer. You helped with valuable info regarding putting the Pioneer cable further than 18 feet. His asking for 25' may well have been a padded amount. Maybe 18' would suffice. Where could I find that one?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is Aric still on this line?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome for the information. I've installed for years and have experienced DVI dropouts first hand when installing 12 TV's that used this format of connection.

If you want to go this route, you will need to purchase a DVI cable, AS well as a special format Pioneer VGA cable- since the Pioneer uses a proprietary cable that is essentially these two cables put together.

Below is a 20 foot DVI cable:

http://www.sfcable.com/HDMID-06MM.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAkb-zBRC2upezwuyguQ4SJADZG08vcKCqAFnRyIR-25jOIhnlUwVNp-ZanSqLgNPpItue3RoCWODw_wcB

Unfortunately that multi-pin VGA type cable I am not able to locate as it looks like Pioneer uses a different format of this cable.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

The second cable, I've found is a 20 pin "MDR" cable, and thus far I am unable to find one that will work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't understand - are you saying that i would need that 20' DVI cable plus a special format Pioneer VGA cable?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Yes that is correct. If buying anything other than the 3M Pioneer cable- you need to purchase two separate cables and essentially retro-fit the existing cables to get it to work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do I find the 3M Pioneer cable?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

The 3M (10 feet) is the one I originally sent you that link to, which is the same one you said you already have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh. So it's 10' 3M or the 2 separate cabled retrofitted to work ...?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Correct. Can I ask why the DISH installer cannot simply run his cable longer from the DISH box instead of trying to find these rare and expensive cables from the Pioneer MR to the display panel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know. As you can probably see, I know nothing about this stuff - I was just sent to find the longer cable. I will show him this exchange and hopefully get an answer I understand. thank you!
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, and no problem. It is really not recommended to extend the Pioneer's system cable, and much more practical to extend the DISH receiver cable to the TV. I've never seen an installer make this request on a TV that uses a Media Receiver in the 20 years I've been installing, so it is bizarre. Especially because the Pioneer's signal from the box to the TV will be unreliable at that length.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will rate you highly - how long does this situation remain open? The Dush guy will be here Friday - can this exchange extend that far?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** can follow up to this at anytime- it will stay open for months if you need to get back here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.