Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

In June 2015 I purchased a E165BV-HD8WH3TLAA television.

Customer Question

In June 2015 I purchased a E165BV-HD8WH3TLAA television. Something happened yesterday as I turned the set off with the remote, and now I can only get one channel. The source is YPbpr. If I toggle up or down, I get a message "Cable - no signal". If I key in channel numbers, the message is "No channels present. Please perform channel search first."
Sometimes if I try to do a channel search, the Channel icon isn't lit. Other times, I can start a channel search but no channels are recognized/identified on either cable or air. Up until now the TV has worked fine.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, When you're using YPbpr for a source- you cannot use the Channel buttons on the TV's remote - as you would need to use the Cable Company provided remote. Please set the TV back to the YPbpr Input (use the Sceptre remote's Input button to select "Component") and then simply use the Cable Company provided remote to change channels as is the protocol with this type of setup.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no "input" button on my Sceptre remote. And I have used the cable company's remote to try to change channels.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, well your TV is on the incorrect Input right now- which is why it's asking you to run a channel scan.

On your Septre remote- upper right hand corner- Input is called "SOURCE". Find that button and go through each and every one of the source options to find your cable box signal. Then if you still can't use the cable remote to change channels, then you need to reboot your cable box. Let me know if you're able to do that please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've tried each source option and still can't change channels. Please tell me how to reboot my cable box.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Did any of the sources show your broadcasts is what's important here. In other words- did you see programming on ANY of the source selections? Also, specifically do you know HOW your cable box is connected to your TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

To reboot your cable box, unplug it from power, then disconnect and reconnect the cables connecting it to the TV. While you are there, please tell me what specific jacks on the TV those cables are going to, Then plug the cable box back in and let it reboot. Please reply back when you are at that stage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did as you instructed. When I first contacted you, I was getting one station only with YPbpr as the source. Now, after I plugged the cables back in, I have two message boxes that show up on both YPbpr and HDMI1. They say: "Recording Space is Full." Then it goes on to tell me to delete some recordings in order to continue to use the DVR (I have never recorded a program on this TV.)
The second message box says "An external drive has been connected. Press OK to reboot the box and transition to a DVR platform." The OK button isn't lit and I'm unable to get it to respond using either the Sceptre remote or the cable company's remote. So, I'm in worse shape now than I was before.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Rebooting the cable DVR (the TV does not have a built in DVR) does not cause anything to break- this was originally a failure with the DVR that caused the problem in the first place. You will need to simply contact your cable company (call the number on your bill) and request that they exchange the box as it is faulty at this point. They rent this equipment to you and are responsible for replacing it when it fails.