Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I want to connect Bose Companion 2 speakers to my Sony

Customer Question

I want to connect Bose Companion 2 speakers to my Sony Bravia KDL40XBR2. I was advised to input the one (only one) cable into the Sony Auxiliary Input jack. Where is that jack located?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, which audio input cables do you have please? ...the 2 to 2 RCA-to-RCA? ...or the 2 RCA plugs to a 3.5mm earphone plug?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Speakers are BOSE Companion 2. Television is Sony Bravia KDL40XBR2. Nothing to do with you response re RCA & earphones.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

These are the names of the types of cables/plugs.

• • Please click HERE for an RCA-to-RCA type of cable
  • • while HERE for an 3.5mm to RCA type of cable.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, but there is a misunderstanding. I'm asking about Bose speakers to connect to Sony television. I am not asking about RCA anything.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Can you see the jacks at the back of the Bose Companion 2 right speaker? Do you have the plugs/cables that would fit these jacks?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I asked where the Auxiliary Input jack is located on the Sony Bravia KDL40XBR2. I'm attempting to insert the Bose speaker cable into Sony TV. That is the topic.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

The AUDIO OUT jacks of a Sony KDL40XBR2 are at the rear lower center. Can you check please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the cable into the Bose Auxiliary Input. Now, I need to know into which TV jack do I insert the Bose speaker cable. The only jack the speaker cable fits is the earphone. With that done, there is NO SOUND. So that is not the correct jack.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Is this "...speaker cable..." from the Bose LEFT SPEAKER ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Bose left speaker cable connects to right speaker. A 2nd cable connects right speaker to TV. A 3rd cable connects right speaker to power source.
Checked back of TV: 4 sections of connections: Far Left: Video In. Next: HD/DVD In. Next: Audio PC In. Next: Audio Out (var/fix). Sony's explanation is that HD/DVD In is the location for external speakers. However, the ports are not large enough to accommodate the speaker cable.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As I stated earlier, none of the ports could accommodate the speaker cable. The only port sized to fit was the earphone port on the side of the TV. Once cable was inserted, there was no sound from either speakers or TV.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Does the Bose right speaker show power? ...is the volume control set correctly?

Touching the metal tip/end of the right speaker cable, is there a thump/humming sound from the Bose speakers?

The right speaker may need a different cable than what you described. Please see / click / goto https://www.dak.com/reviews/imagesR4/2068_CableRCARCA.jpg

These cable would connect the Bose RIGHT SPEAKER to the Sony's AUDIO OUT (VAR/FIX)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, there is no means to "show power" on the speaker, other than to just turn the knob till it "clicks." No, there is no thumping or humming on end of cable. Again, attempted to insert cable jack into TV Audio Out, and port is too small. Cable jack inserts only halfway. As stated, the only "fit" is the "earphone" port, which of course, is not the answer. The "fix" is now in my court. I appreciate your research and answering the question of where on TV to insert cable jack.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

If there is no thump / humming from the speakers when the metal tip/end of the speaker cable is touch, then the Bose is not working.

Have you checked the AC power pack and that it gets warm when plugged into a wall outlet for some time?

The thump/hum is a test if the speaker cable and if the Bose are working.

The AC power pack getting warm is a rough test to determine if it works/