Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

A have a couple Proxima DP6150 projectors that 't work

Customer Question

A have a couple Proxima DP6150 projectors that don't work right. One has a washed out image. The other seemed to have a short in the electrical plug. If it wasn't plugged in very tight, the projector would shut off after awhile. I would push it in and it would then go, sometimes for a couple hours until the movie finished. I swapped out the board from an identical parts projector and now a dark image has horizontal red lines and the opening white background has green cells along the right side. I swapped back a board that the plug goes into, and the problem remains so I presume I messed up something in my monkeying in there.
Besides the bulbs in the not-working projectors, I have two others. Are they worth anything?
Thanks for any info on what I can do.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lee,

I expect these projectors are quite old now, and therefore unreliable.

You can still sell them for spare parts though - you could put them on Craigslist or a similar site for around $50 each.

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not yet satisfied. Just because they are old doesn't mean that they can't work. If as parts they are good for someone else, why not for me? What is the part or possibly poor connection that creates the streaks and color distortion or the washed out effect?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi lee,

As the projector units are unreliable. They are not good as units, but they are good for salvaging hardware parts from, e.g. if someone had a cracked cover they could use one from your old projector.

The bad color is likely coming from the digital image processing part of the projector, and to fix it would cost more than the price of a new projector, whilst leaving you with an old, unreliable projector for your money spent.