Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Directv says my LG tv is bad. Picture will not load from

Customer Question

Directv says my LG tv is bad. Picture will not load from Directv box. Works fine in other room. In this case will briefly show AV1 in upper right corner and then returns to all black screen. No sound also. Have rebooted cable box four times and unplugged tv twice and let rest. No help either way.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you need to know?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Plenty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack,Tell me what you need to know. I'll tell you all I can. I've talked to two different people at Directv and they both think I need a new TV. I hope they are wrong and that is why I am at your site.Joe
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you see the TV's own menu ?

What do you mean by " Works fine in other room " , is that the tv or the direct tv box ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you get the OSD (on screen display) volume bar for example when you use the volume button ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Something you said here as well may make the difference ;

You said " will briefly show AV1 in upper right corner " and that AV1 is an analog composite input , usually what you will use in the last resort like when you have to connect an old vcr .

Is your direct tv box connected into AV1 at the back of the tv ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you reply to me here , the phone offer did not go through anyway

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What type of cables /connection do you have between the cable box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to cancel now because of a time issue. I will try to get back to you tomorrow. Please don't charge me any more than the original five dollars. Thank you.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem , we can resume this anytime you want .

By the way , I have no idea what you are being charge or any of the money matters here , just the tv guy not even an employee

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack,I'm Back. Joe here. Can we try the phone call again? (###) ###-#### I should be home for the next hour or so. 12:35 pm now.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I could call you but i will have to go through the website phone request system .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like all colored cables. There is an HDM1 cable but I think it is from the sound bar.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What i need to know is where are the cables connected into he tv , I`m talking about the direct tv box to the tv , not the sound bar .

Click the link below , that's your tv , give me a number where the direct tv box is connected exactly please ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk5p6x7wkex1do1/2015-12-15_1643.png?dl=0

By the way , if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The picture is behind that .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connected at #9
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

WOW , the worse possible connection

Does that direct tv box happen to have a HDMI port at the back ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If your cable box has a HDMI port then grab a hdmi cable like the one going to the sound bar and connect that box into HDMI 1 , 2 or 3 on the tv then select that input with the INPUT button on the remote and you are in business.

Right now I won`t even bother to ask you where those AV1 cables are on the direct tv box although that could be the problem .

This type of connection was used in the 80`s to connect your old vcr , you have a HD tv and if your direct tv box is also HD as I suspect then give yourself a Christmas gift and get a hdmi cable for a 300% picture improvement not mentioning the fact that this will fix your problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the HDMI--still the same problem.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then this time please try to stick around until we get to the source of the problem , this is getting too confusing as i I have to go back everytimes to see where we were .

I first asked 2 days ago these 2 questions ;

Can you see the TV's own menu ?

And you never answered .

These criteria are important to know now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Cannot see the tv menu. No picture at all on tv.
Works fine in other room refers to the Directv box and the tv connected to it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then this changes the whole thing and yes indeed there is a problem with the tv if you cannot even see its own menu .

In that case we could take it from the standpoint of a broken tv .

How do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think I'll pass on your offer. I can get a new one comparable to what I have now for over $1000 less than I paid for this one.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.