Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100. I turn on the unit, the

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100. I turn on the unit, the green light comes on and stays on solid. I can also see the back light come on. When the bravia logo comes on it is scrunched up on the top few lines of the TV. Any other attempt to display a picture gets scrunched up to the top few lines of the TV. Oh yea thye Sound seems to work ok. The TV is about 5-6 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 12 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control is the menu OK or is this cramped at the top of the display too please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It has the same issue. No matter what picture it tries to display it gets scrunched to the top.

OK the procedure is this please disconnect the TV from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug the set back in again let me know if there is any change

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Already tried that and am having same issue. The only thing i noticed is when I bring up the menu it again gets scrunched to the top but after about a min. it seems to bleed down the screen.

You are referring to the sets own menu using the sets own remote control?

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

OK its a bad t-con board do you think you can replace this board yourself?

I will provide all the necessary info for that

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I believe I can. I am a tech myself but just don't know too much about TV electronics.

Glad to help, what you need to do is get the back off the set, now you will see a unmistakable ribbon or multi-strand label going from the main-board (that's the one with all the AV input connectors on)to the t-con usually mounted upper middle of the set and may be covered by a metal shield, you need to carefully get this board out of the set (its about 5 inches by 2 half)and retrieve the part-number found on the board itself with this part-number go to www.shopjimmy.com first if they don't have it google the part-number for suppliers.

If you have any difficulties with this please upload a photo (using the paper-clip)of the inside of the set I will send it back to you with pointers.

Just to emphasize this is a plug in board

Please consider rating the answer positively thank you there will be a rating band with this post, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please just let me know and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony