Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am connecting antenna to either ANT A or ANT and select

Customer Question

I am connecting antenna to either ANT A or ANT B and select AIR but neither one is working as I would expect. Any other settings that I need to make on the tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hi, What's the model number off of the back of you TV?

Also what's the brand and model of the antenna you're connecting to it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pioneer PRO-520HD. Clearstream Micron XG HDTV Antenna
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks. Looking up that model now.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Offhand do you have the power adapter plugged in correctly on the splitter (please observe cable IN and OUT connections)?

Also, are you running a Channel Scan after selecting AIR?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have power adapter plugged in and I did Channel Scan after selecting AIR.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked the antenna locator to see how many stations you should be getting in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have two different antennas, one on the roof, and one indoor. Either antenna works well with my other TVs in the house but not with this one.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not getting even 1 channel
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I just checked the specs on this TV, and it does not have a current digital TV antenna tuner- it uses the old style VHF/UHF style so will not work with any current digital broadcasts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how can I get whatever channel available on air?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're going to need a DTV converter with this one connected between the antenna and the TV's AV or coaxial jacks. You can get one of these for around $55 at Radio Shack, Best By or Wal Mart, or at the link below:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1009262&gclid=Cj0KEQiAqK-zBRC2zaXc8MOiwfIBEiQAXPHrXsG1qySTM5s9c9730R0b-tnB54Rz_YdBKbMfI3bIvhMaAjB88P8HAQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&is=REG&A=details

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You then use the software on the converter box to run the channel scan and set the TV to the correct AV Input setting to view.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Absolutely. I will get the converter box and if this was the issue and your proposed solution works you have provided a 5 Stars services. It is all about knowledge, experience, and services. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. Absolutely it will work- the DTV converter box is the same tuner as your sets that are working. It simply connects to the TV as an AV device- select the Input and display the content the tuner is sending. This was the proposed solution when OTA signals changed to Digital over 10 years ago- so it is the correct protocol to solve the problem.