Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My TV turns on 20 seconds with very blurred background

Customer Question

My TV turns on for maybe 20 seconds with very blurred background picture then automatically turns itself off. 50PS30fd 50 inch plasma purchased 07.2009
Any clues. Thanks
Donna Mallinder
Category: TV
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't want to sign up for anything other than pay AUS$39 for the diagnosis. If there is going to be ongoing charges forget it. I will cancel the credit card. Please confirm there will be no other charges than the initial AUS$39.00.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Donna.

This would be a one time question, there is no requirement for any ongoing fees. At this point, you've paid your fee to the site (not to me, an independent tech) to post your question, which I'll answer:

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. It is already past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement is usually the better investment, as you can get a brand new and upgraded LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

(Note: the rating step does not cost you more, it is what prompts the site to credit me a small portion of your fee, for my time)

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Donna, you asked for a diagnosis, did you need additional information?

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.