Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Panasonic Model PT059LC13, Serial #H3AA50942. After

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Model PT059LC13, Serial #H3AA50942. After a power outage, the unit now turns on for 30 seconds and then the red light comes on 24/7. the unit will not turn off. When I hit the on buttom the unit comes on again and then turns off after 30 seconds.
Thank you for your help. Jim Huckeba ***@******.***
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Hello Jim, and sorry you're having problems. Please check the lights on the front of the TV- and when it shuts off let me know which ones are lit or blinking (they are labeled). Also the color of the lights is needed for me to look up the code that the TV is giving.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There are no lights on the front of the tv, the only light is the power button. It turns green when the unit is warming up and operating and it turns red when the unit is powering down. The TV is HD but is also a projection model.
JIm
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Sorry I will have to opt out and open the question up to all experts.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Aric The correct model number is ***** not PT-059.... I mistyped. Jim
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Sorry for the delay Jim. The TV indeed has three lights- Lamp, Temp and Power. So you're saying none of these are lit beyond the power light is that correct?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'l go check and get back with you. The TV is in another part of the house from where my computer is.
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

I understand. Offhand, if none of these lights are lit or blinking- then this would indicate a failure in either the TV's power board, or Mainboard.

Also please let me know when the last time is that you replaced the Lamp.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The lamp was replaced 3 yrs ago. When it went out there was a error message warning that it was going to go out. Nothing now, I just plugged the unit in again and it works normal for 20 seconds and then the goes off and the power light turns red. If I hit the power button again the unit will come on after 60 seconds and stay on for 20 seconds. It will repeat this sequence all day. There is no temp or light button/light on the front of this unit. Does it need a new fuse and if so where is it located?
Jim
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There are only five buttons on the right hand side in front. The top one is the power button. The next two are the + & - VOL and the next two are the + & - Channel. Jim
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Please see page 10 of the manual below which is for your set and shows where the lights are. I am very familiar with your TV model:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PT50LC13.PDF

Also, no there is no fuse thats causing this, if the fuse were out the TV would not power on or show any power light at all.

Your TV has a hardware failure causing this problem. It is generally the power supply board that is compromised in the event of a storm or power outage.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

The most likely cause of this problem are failed capacitors on the power supply board of the TV.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

The part that's needed to fix this problem is at the link below- and is the power supply board within the set:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-lsep3088a-power-supply-board.htm

If you're still having the same problem then the rear of the TV must be removed and the power board swapped. It's a "plug and play" board- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will generally charge $250-$300 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Aric: I tried the power reset three times and it didn't change anything. It appears I need a new Power Supply Board. I'm going to pull the existing one out of the TV and make sure that Shopjimmy.com has the correct replacement. Thanks for your answers so far, you have been very helpful. I'll keep you posted if the new Power Supply Board fixes the problem. Jim
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Okay, sounds good.