Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Working on my Samsung UN65EH5000. Watching last night, and

Customer Question

Hi, Tim,
Working on my Samsung UN65EH5000. Watching last night, and the screen just shut off and the power light began blinking every few seconds.
This happened a couple of years ago, several times, and each time, after shutting it off for a while, it started working.
Then, after a few days of this, it worked normally for almost 2 years now. I got nervous then and ordered a new power board, but since it never quit, I never installed it.
This time, just started doing it again, so I've installed the new power board, and no help. Still black and red light blinking. No sounds, no clicks, nothing.
Any ideas?
When it's on, it's beautiful.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.
- Can you please get me the complete model number written on back of TV? it could be UN65EH6000 or some thing.
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Did you get above reply?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I couldn't get logged in since I didn't get a password. Finally found a way to reset it. Never got one in the email.
My Samsung is a UN65EH6000F.
Doesn't matter what is plugged in. It's working fine again, but it does this after being unplugged for half an hour or so.
It's done this before, but it's been months since last time. I changed the power board, no help. The only thing that helps is unplugging it. It'll run for an hour or two, and then shut down with the red power light blinking again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I tried to log in before, without a password, it started me all over with another technician. I don't want to be charged twice...
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info, you won't be charged twice for this question but please do not initiate/ post another/ fresh question.

Working on your TV question and get back to you in 10 minutes with answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I've gotten logged in now, so I don't think it'll be an issue for THIS question. I'll be here.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

This kind of problem occurs due to corrupted firmware (TV internal software) because of failing EEPROM (memory) chip on main board, either replace EEPROM chip which requires good soldering work with proper tools and expertise OR entire main board in TV to resolve the problem. Please click following link to get required EEPROM chip if wish to do some soldering work..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=UN65EH6000F

and if want to replace entire main board then please get the part number off of label pasted on main board in TV (it would be like BN94-06001A or BN96-25768A etc) to search/ google to get price and stock info to order it. If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you're sure it's the main board EEPROM, not the power board? That explains why changing that didn't help.
If I order the EEPROM, it's already programmed? All I do is replace it on the main board?
How long will it take to get a new EEPROM? I have built many computers, including soldering main and video boards, so that doesn't scare me, and if I dork it up, I can order the main board.
It'll obviously take a while to see if this works...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this a tiny surface mount type chip, or a standard IC?
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I'm sure that EEPROM replacement will work on your TV as per symptoms mentioned in question, EEPROM would be pre-programmed and please contact to supplier through above mentioned link to get delivery time info.

It is tiny surface mount chip, please order the EEPROM chip as per part number of main board in TV to avoid any complications.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, looks like I have to do some more disassembly to get the numbers from the main board. That one isn't visible without removing the rest of the case. Thanks, ***** ***** it out. I hope it works, but I won't really know for a few days, I guess.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Part number would be written on label/ sticker pasted on main board, please click following link to view main board and part number sticker on it which will help..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-bn94-06001a-top_1.jpg

Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, that picture helps. I thought the main board was bigger. THAT one I CAN get a look at.Thanks again
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know yet. The source for the board is out of stock, and I've ordered the EEPROM, but it hasn't come yet. Will let you know.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, take your time and reply back with the result.

Thanks.