Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Mitsubishi TV DLP wd73738 Picture looks like a

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi TV DLP wd73738 Picture looks like a negative greens are red and reds are green picture flickers I have changed the DMD board with no luck It usually takes 5 to 10 minutes for this to happen but on Sunday prior to changing DMD board
it lasted for just over an hour.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I know that if the DLP chip goes bad you get white or black dots on the screen, but could this happen also?
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. How old is it? Have you changed anything else?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
5 years old, I changed the color wheel first and came here and Aric told me that the wheel would not cause this and that it was most likely the DMD board, I also changed the fan for the color board

There are a few parts that can cause this. The DMD board is the most common, the color wheel can as well if it is not spinning and then so can the lamp or a loose connection from one board to another. When you turn it on do you hear the wheel start to spin?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
also a week before this happened I had a lamp go bad and replaced that.
I do not notice any sounds at start up but the picture is fine
I do hear the fan start up after a while
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
is the wheel spinning a noticeable sound or do I have to listen close

You may have to listen close it is similar to the fan whir but tends to have a high pitched sound as well.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have to leave for work now but will stop back home in a couple hours and check when tv is cooled down
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank You for responding

Take all the time you need. It is also possible the new DMD board is defective. I would re-seat all the connections and clean the entire inside of the set (including the connection pins) with canned air duster.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I check the tv but it was not completely cool because my wife turned it for a few minutes. I shut it off and waited about ten minutes
When I turned it back on I could here a high pitched sound for a second or two and then lamp fan came on and all I could hear was that. later tonight I will check the connections.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 11 months ago.

Ok what about the cleaning did you do that?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not yet I will do that later also

Ok let me know the results when you can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, was the high pitched sound I heard the color wheel or the fan?

The high pitch is the color wheel the fan makes a whir sound.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just finished checking and cleaning connections
Turned on TV in ten minutes time the picture changed .
I have the TV turned around and back cover off (propped up safety switch) so I could watch fans and hear better.
DMD fan is spinning Large lamp fan is spinning.
When picture changed I could hear whining sound or a squeaking sound with a change in speed.
its been 28 minutes now and squeaking sound is steady with a bad picture. Bad bearing in color wheel?

That sounds like you got a defective DMD board. Can you contact the seller to get a replacement sending this one back? This question does not expire. You can come back to me any time by going to justanswer.com and looking under my questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The DMD board controls the wheel speed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sent message to seller (Ebay) waiting for response

No it should control the fan, from what you described it sounds like the DMD board fan is the noise coupled with the picture change it would normally be the board. To find out if it is that board, repeat the cleaning/reconnecting but only on this board and only on it's side of the cables. If the same thing happens and it works for 10 minutes the new board is most likely defective or one of the cables is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I turned the TV off the noise stopped and both fans were still running. Would that point to the color wheel?

No if it is a bearing it would be in the fan but the fan would still spin, if you listen close when the sound comes on you should be able to hear where it is coming from.