Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a LN55 Samsung TV that when I Press the power on

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I have a LN55 Samsung TV that when I Press the power on button on the remote, the red light flashes, also the decorative white light in the center pole flashes and then everything turned off. I get no picture or sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 12 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Can you first get me the full model number please found on the back of the set?

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
any other information like Series number?

No just the full model number please I have no use for the serial number thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok, LN52B750U1F model
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That model number was on the back panel. On the side panel is the exact same number but they added XA on the end of # ***** gave you.

OK one of the most common issues with samsung TVs across models is failure of capacitors on the power-board these will need to be checked visually initially and I will provide all the necessary info for that, are you able to do work yourself with the set please?

Let me know please

Please consider at this point rating what information I have provided so far positively, there will be a rating band with this post of stars, rating positive is the only way I get credited by the site for the help thank you.Please note the question NEVER closes and remains open always so bookmark the page

Regards

Anthony

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I can. I am a experienced welder and can solder as well. I checked the capacitors for a bubble top but all seemed to be fine. Unless I am not checking the correct board or it's a different component. What should I look for and where?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was told it was a faulty capacitor in the power supply module. Is this correct? If so is the power supply module on the right side since there are only three circuit boards ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can I send you a picture of the power supply board or module?

You trace the power-cord to the power-board you are looking at devices like this

http://snag.gy/OJw8p.jpg <<click

We need to follow a procedure of checks begining with that one before we move on

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm ready, Just tell me what I need other than my meter and we can proceed. But capacitors do not look like the ones in your picture. I have CM868, CM852 and 8 others.

Its just a visual check on the caps and yes they are not the same it just gives you an idea we do not need a meter its just a visual check at this point let me know please

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not a problem. I took pictures but don't know how to send them to you other then The text message, I will try that now.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Did you receive the 2 pic's?

Yes

You have bad capacitors

CM868 is in poor shape and the one next to it

So as you can solder you will be in a good position to do this for about $20

You can get those capas from www.mcelectronics.com or even radio shack

Can you do this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
CM868 and the one to its right CM 852. I put a X on top of them. Is there anything else that would cause the red light to blink and the White light in the center pole of the stand comes on and flashes also, that could be the problem? Here's a whole picture of the power module as if you were looking directly at the back of it.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I really appreciate your time and expertise. My only question is if replacing those two capacitors does not or what would be my next step ?

You have to replace the capacitors first there is no magic future seeing ball to see what happens after that but I can tell you 80% of the time the set will start up, its a procedure to follow if it does not fire up we move on from there however those capacitors are clearly bad

Just so you know this question never closes so you can come back here anytime

Anthony

This is the least expensive way to deal with this at this point and salvage your original board

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you Anthony. So, start with the first two capacitors and if that does not work then go to the next one and then the next one with my luck it will be the last one. There's no way to test the capacitors prior to snipping and soldering a new one on? I guess not or you would have suggested that in the beginning, right? So, just go to RadioShack and take the capacitor with me or is the number sufficient?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Last question, is there any other store I can go to to get the capacitors that you know of?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Would my worst case scenario is me having to buy a new power board? Or are they just too expensive and not worth buying?

So, start with the first two capacitors and if that does not work then go to the next one and then the next one with my luck it will be the last one

No not at all that is completely false please just follow what I say if you want you can replace the complete power-board I am only trying to keep costs down for you, the capacitors I have pointed out are clearly bad replace them the set should work if it does not we move on to the next phase

There's no way to test the capacitors prior to snipping and soldering a new one on?

Again those capacitors are clearly bad they are leaking

So, just go to RadioShack and take the capacitor with me or is the number sufficient? Take it with you remember to note that it goes in when replaced only one way around as its polarized you see the negative line

Last question, is there any other store I can go to to get the capacitors that you know of?I do not know of another store even radio shack may not have them in which case you need to order from internet

Would my worst case scenario is me having to buy a new power board? Or are they just too expensive and not worth buying?A board is a bout $100_$150 again I am trying to go about this by saving you about $100 by replacing the capas

Anthony

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry for the late response. I'll try the two capacitors first and if that does not work then I will bite the bullet and buy a new board. It's just such a great TV I hate to get rid of it so I try to fix everything. Thank you Anthony. I promise this is my last question, do I need to take the circuit board out while removing and replacing the capacitors or it seems like I have enough room without doing so. I thought maybe the capacitor wires need to wind around and be soldered on the back end of the circuit board, or can I snip and solder with the board in place?

You need to get the board out and de-solder the capacitors on the other side of the board //after noting there values and taking note of which way around they are (they are polarized)// its then the reverse to fit, if you opt for replacing the board complete you will need to get the part-number usually begins BN that will be etched on the board and try initially www.shopjimmy.com

Please consider rating the answer positively thank you there will be a rating band with this post, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, the session will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please just let me know and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony

Many Thanks

Anthony