Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I'm getting a total of blinks - like sets of 2 blinks each.

Customer Question

I'm getting a total of blinks - like sets of 2 blinks each. 2 blinks, pause, 2 blinks, pause and so on
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Need help with this Sharon ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I`ll start with that 2 blinks codes , it doesn`t mean anything except to say the tv is in shutdown/protect mode .

Here is how to get the error codes ;

Press the front panel “INPUT /DEVICE” and “MENU” buttons at the same time, and hold them for 5 seconds, to activate the Error Code Mode.
Example: If the Error Code is “23”, the LED will flash two times, pause, and then flash three times.

Let me know what you have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blink blink, pause blink blink, pause etc for a total of 20 blanks
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k and that is what you read AFTER holding INPUT and MENU for 5 secs ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's hard to determine if there is a longer pause between any sets of blanks. I just know that it's 10 sets of two blinks each
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Ok then this code points to a "Short protect circuit " and this is usually a power supply failure and I`m afraid that unlike modern TV's you cannot simply replace a board and be on your way , this will require some serious troubleshooting at the component level with test equipment , not exactly what i would call a "do it yourself" type of job and you would need the help of a local repairman on this one.

This type of failure depending on the components affected could cost in excess of $300 to have it done at home.

If i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at nearly 20 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" plasma tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 .
I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

Still ,

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you briefly explain what a short protect circuit means? I know we can get a new TV for about what it would cost to fix this one possibly, but I'm in love with this television lol I know, I'm weird.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder if it would be possible to send you a video clip of the blanks so that you can see them yourself? Maybe I'm misinterpreting any pauses that may be there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean to text blinks but the voice text keeps putting blanks I'm sorry
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry , it should read short circuit protect .

It simply means that some component went defective (short) and is stopping the voltages from rising up to par .

The codes in these older models were very generic and could not really be taken for the gospel if you will , even if the code is not exactly what you meant then it would be either the deflection , high voltage or convergence circuits .

Any of those comes back to what I was saying , you need to get in there to replace components , no easy way out like some sort of reset I`m afraid

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The exact blink code doesn`t really matter at this point , there are few of them and they all point to major repair

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I wish it was just an easy reset or adjustment but not the case , sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had an older projection TV before that we were able to replace some parts for. My husband is a journeyman electrician who specializes in outdoor landscape lighting so he does have some knowledge regarding electrical. If we knew what parts to get we could probably replace them ourself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be helpful if I could send you a video of the blinks so that you can see them yourself. In case I'm missing something?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

In that case I will give you the service manual and start the troubleshooting , this is totally impossible for me to do from here , I would need to be there myself with tools and meters .

Hold on for a bit and I will upload that manual;

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No it would not be helpful , there are only 3 possible error codes and they point to either the power board failure , deflection o high voltage circuit which all require a tech. on location

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Manual coming up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send the manual to my email address? ***@******.***
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Here is the manual (link below) and look on page 22 for these error codes but I repeat , they don`t mean much in these older tv and are very generic , here it is ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qgp1ziarh5e8si/mitsubshi_ws48313_ws48413_ws55313_ws55413_ws65313_ws65413_chassis_v22%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0

By the way , if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The manual is behind that .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Click that link and once it opens use the DOWNLOAD button to save it to your PC

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Thanks for understanding .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, thanks!
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do :0)
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Until you click that rating , I have to leave the last comments otherwise the system tells me I have customers waiting .

After rating you can send all the comments or question you want