Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Black screen
, tv turns on I can hear movie playing no

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** black screen
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: tv turns on I can hear movie playing no screen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no to model number I can not see it without help. cable box and dvd player connected
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, TV model number is ***** info to troubleshoot the problem.

- Does screen glow/ show backlight for a while when power On the TV?

- Does menu screen come up when press menu button on TV?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no and no
how many 46in lg TV's are there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure about it, however, please check side panel of TV to find a small sticker that would have model number info or find the TV user manual for model number info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
47LN5200
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is ***** helpful.

Please shine a good flashlight on TV screen bit closely, do you observe faint/ dim image of program in screen while TV is On and having sound from TV speakers?

This test will conclude the troubleshooting process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

NO?

You mean you don't have flash light to try the test or no faint image visible in screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no image
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, this TV is notorious for backlight system failure where LEDs inside display panel go bad and made the screen dark, however, no image visible with flashlight test indicates it could be corrupted TV firmware (internal software) because of failing EEPROM chip on main board so I would recommend to replace EEPROM chip (it needs soldering work with proper tools and expertise) or entire main board to see if it fix the problem or TV has bad display panel. I wish there was an easy fix available at this point. Please click following link to get required EEPROm/ main board of you're working on TV yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+47LN5200

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi, do you need further assistance with it?

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.