Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Panasonic TC-P42x5 plasma tv a electrical short

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic TC-P42x5 plasma tv a electrical short caused it to go into safe mode and now it won't come out of it. I've done every thing the manual says and there is still no picture or sound just a blinking light. the blinking light blinks 12 times then pauses. i'm at a stand still of what or where to go from here.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

When you say an electrical short, do you mean a power surge?
Or were you trying to repair something internally and shorted something?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
short in a electrical outlet i do have a surge protector plugged into the tv, not the same one as the tv is plugged in to but one the is in series or on the same breaker
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
not the same outlet as the tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This would be consistent with the short you experienced.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv this size however, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 price range as repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.