Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Panasonic tv th42pa25 and bought a blu-ray player

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic tv th42pa25 and bought a blu-ray player and the tv has no hdmi ports so what do I need to hook it up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, this really is not going to work.

Bluray technology is completely digital, and requires a hdmi connection. Bluray players are prohibited (by bluray standards) from having analog ports.

The cable you purchased will not work, it simply isn't possible for it to work. It has no way of converting anything, it is a special type of cord that only works with certain computer graphics cards that output analog signals through the hdmi port. It won't do anything for you here. \

What you could *try* to do is use the dvi port, with a hdmi to dvi cable, but that wouldn't give you any sound so you'd really need a separate sound system, and there would still be HDCP incompatibilities so it likely wouldn't work at all.

Really the only way this could work is to buy a special converter box, that can actually downscale the 1080p hdmi signal to a 480p format that your tv could handle. There is no legitimate company/brand that makes these (they are all low quality china products). These are around $50 and have about a 30% success rate.

In this situation, you'd really be better off just using a standard dvd player with analog connections. There is zero quality benefit gained via bluray when used with this old tv.

Otherwise, the better alternative would be to replace the tv with an up to date model. At 10+ years old, its well past its service life already, and could be replaced with a brand new LED tv for around $300.

I can help with finding a converter box to try, or recommend replacement dvd players or tv models if you prefer.

Let me know.