Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Just replaced D Board in my Plasma TH-50PX50U TV hoping to

Customer Question

Hi! Just replaced D Board in my Plasma TH-50PX50U TV hoping to correct periodic 6-second video blackouts (audio continues and happens with cable, ROKU and DVD's). Did not fix problem. Any suggestions? Replace another circuit Board? XXXXXXXXXX
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Please reply back so I know you're here. Also, are you with the unit now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here with the unit; please note I am not a trained tech.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK. When the screen goes black I want you to grab the original remote and bring up the MENU. Tell me if the menu shows up or not....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blackout happens once every 4 - 6 hours. I will have to binge watch to do this or else e-mail you the results in a day or two after it happens.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK no rush, that's an important piece of information. Also, are the cable, ROKU, and DVD all connected with HDMI or another type of cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All three go passively through my TX-SR705 ONKYO Receiver and into the TV via one HDMI out-cable. I did one-time connect video to TV directly to rule out the receiver; I still had periodic blackout.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The HDMI signals are processed differently from non-HDMI signals, inside the TV. Is it possible to eliminate that difference by connecting something via a non-HDMI cable to the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could do three component video cables for cable TV or DVD. Problem is I usually utilize ROKU (I hate commercials), which is dedicated HDMI. I could opt for DVD's over the next few days in order to check out component video cables.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, let's try component just as a test... not forever. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To report back, do I just keep this page open or do I close out and contact you by a dedicated e-mail address or case number?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The site should have sent you an email with a link to this question. If they didn't, just come back to the site and click "My Questions" at the top somewhere....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Talk with you later.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is Tuesday morning with the results of my tests: 1) before changing hookups I had a 6-second black-out and the Menu from the TV remote would not come up during the black-out. 2) I completely disconnected HDMI and connected Video and Audio Component cables directly from DVD player to TV; No black-outs occurred. 3) I connected a brand new HDMI cable directly from DVD player to TV and eventually a black-out occurred (did see the word HDMI in corner of screen however). If we assume HDMI handshake problem within TV circuitry, which circuit board could we replace?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Dan, are you there?