Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Toshiba 40L3400UC has picture but no sound. How can I fix

Customer Question

Hi - my Toshiba 40L3400UC has picture but no sound. How can I fix that?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, If the TV is indeed the root cause of no sound- then you would fix it by replacing the "Mainboard" (part number Toshiba 75037076 (461C7751L01)).

However, the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

NOTE: If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a cable box. I am connecting with Netflix through the tv directly. I can see the picture but no sound.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Try another device as stated above please so we can determine if the issue is with the TV, or with the Netflix app.

Also postback with as many other pertinent details as possible (home theater connected to TV, age of set, etc.).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let's try a different approach:

1) Is this the first time setting up Netflix on the TV? Or was it working find previously with picture AND sound?

2) Is there any external audio device (home theater/soundbar, etc.) connected to the TV?

3) How old is the set and when did the issue occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried with Apple TV and there is picture as well as with the YouTube app on the tv. No sound for either. The tv is new. There is nothing else connected to the set.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Apple TV is connected using an HDMI cable or component cables please?

If using component, do you have a set of red and white run to the TV for audio please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connected by HDMI cables
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay this is bad news, and we need to determine whether the Apple TV box or the TV itself is the root cause of the problem. Offhand you could have a defective TV on your hands.

However please try a hard reboot. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds then release.

Wait a minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you still have no sound please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me here?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.