Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Plasma th-42u20z running two hours stopped with flash then

Customer Question

plasma th-42u20z running two hours green stopped with green flash then sound of tick tick tick no picture then tuned off switch what is problem????
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Is the red light on right now? Is it blinking? Or is there no power light currently on the set?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights at all. Just making a clicking sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this means the power supply board has a hardware failure on board and is preventing the set from powering up. The clicking sound is the relay cycling due to a short. In most cases this requires replacement of the power board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that and your remedy didn't work. still ticks after plugging back in
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay it wasn't a remedy, but more of a last ditch effort. The set needs it's power supply board replaced, which if you are a DIYer you can locate using the part number off of the board in the set and performing a Google search. There's not always a pushbutton fix for these problems and all we can do as techs beyond that is diagnose and tell you how to proceed- which in this case is to replace the power board.

Sorry for the bad news on this one and I wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need help locating the board, please postback with the part number (you must remove the rear of the set to find this) and I will help further.

Alternatively a shop will generally charge $250 parts and labor for this type of repair.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?