Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a vizio 65 in tv and as of yesterday it powers on but

Customer Question

I have a vizio 65 in tv and as of yesterday it powers on but no picture
model number m3d650sv
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu come up please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no nothing happens

Is there any sound please?

I am assuming the set power-light is in the ON mode

Let me know please

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light turns from amber to white but no sound or picture is coming through

Have you rebooted the set?unplug from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again?if not please do that

Also let me know how old the set is please

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is 2 years old and doing the power reset does not help I have done that a few times and no luck so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before the screen went black there were some black lines running vertically down the right side of the screen, some were bigger than the others

Sorry for your trouble here, the way it stands it looks like the main-board has failed are you able to do work yourself with the set?i will be able to provide more details

Let me know please

An

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can

Ok you need to get the back off the set and locate the main-board that is the one with all the input AV input connectors attached , unplug and un-screw the board from the chassis ,locate the part-number either etched on the board or on a sticky label and with this code initially try www.shopjimmy.com for the board if they do not have it google the part-number

let me know if you need more help

A positive rating is appreciated thank you

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the main board and nothing happens. The screen is still black and nothing shows up

OK are you getting exactly the same symptoms as before?

Are both part-numbers exactly the same?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both are the same with the same symptoms

OK please get me the model number of the TV found on the back of the set and both part-numbers please

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV model number m3d650sv

Sorry got it

After re-reading your symptoms and discovering you seen lines before the set went off I am beginning to think that you may have a bad t-con board or a bad LCD panel

You may be able to send that main-board back

the thing is there is no way of confirming the LCD panel (bad news) from the t-con the latter can only be replaced to eliminate it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the ton board and still nothing. However the sound works. Would it possibly be a ribbon cable issue?

Its an awkward situation with problems like this ordinarily shut down to the light lit white is 9 times out of 10 the regulators bad on the main-board can you please send me the part-number on the original board and the part-number on the replacement I am just verifying you have the right boards as there are many variants of vizio main that wont work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the original: Vizio 3665-0042-0150 (0171-2272-4234)

OK and I am guessing the replacement was exactly the same number.

So you replaced the tcon is there anything else you have done that you have not mentioned please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is all

Hopefully you fitted the t-con by part-number only too its an exacting exercise with these boards .....

Have you checked the powerboard for bad capacitors?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything visually wrong with them but should I test them somehow? And yes by part number just like the main board for the tcon

You can only effectively check electrolytic capacitors with an ESR meter usually they show signs of stress like leaking/ballooning/raised domed tops

I really am beginning to think you have a bad LCD panel here maybe a problem with the back-lighting or the panel itself either is bad news for the set

Let me know your thoughts

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can check or do? From what you ate telling me it seems like it is a lost cause at this point

You have replaced the t-con and main-board and examined the power-board that does not leave much else to deduce and yes it is a lost cause if the panel or back-lighting is bad in an LCD set I see it daily in various guises (there are many ways a panel can fail) and its a very very common occurrence, there really is no where else to go with it, you have done the things I would have done if the set was on the bench (many flatpanel tv fixes are elimination exercises) you could push the boat out further and replace that power-board in the hope they (suppliers) take the tcon and main-board back then that just about covers everything, your problem as far as active checks is concerned is the set is shutting down because the error circuitry is being tripped that does make things difficult.

Anthony