Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a cable box attached to my tv. Every time I turn the

Customer Question

I have a cable box attached to my tv. Every time I turn the tv on, the screen is blank but I can still see the TV menus. The cable box is working fine. The only thing that works is if I unplug the tv and plug it back in.
Can you help?
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.

Hello there just to clarify, does the same thing happen if you're watching another source like a DVD please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any other external inputs. I can use the smart tv function to watch Netflix, etc, without any problem!

Thank you I see that your TV has 3 HDMI sockets. Does this problem happen with all 3 please? Did anything lead up to this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup - it happens with all three unfortunately
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

You may need to update your firmware to reset your HDMI inputs to accept your cable box. Since you can get a picture by unplugging it and plugging it back in, the hardware does its job, but the TV is ignoring the cable box or vice versa. Usually, the cable box sends its data to the TV and the TV translates, then allows the picture to appear onscreen.

Is your TV model UN40J5500 AFXZA? (look at the model sticker)

If not, google the model # ***** the word support at the end

If it is correct - use this page. Download the zip file in Manual and Downloads section along with the firmware update instructions at the top of the page.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40J5500AFXZA

See if that fixes your problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, different expert here. This is neither a firmware or source related issue. There was a bulletin posted on the 27th after we had about 100 customers post in with the same issue. Please click the link below and follow the instructions on Samsung's site to fix this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40EH5300FXZA#

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.