Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have the HT17 surround sound system which has worked well

Customer Question

I have the HT17 surround sound system which has worked well to date. With the introduction of Free to Air HD channel I find the sound is distorted on normal programmes. With live telecasts e.g. recent cricket match, the background sound of the crowd can be heard but not a word from the commentary. Switching back to normal digital channels provides full sound. I have checked all connections and settings as per the instruction manual to no avail.Is there a setting I have missed or something more serious.
Thanks for your attention, Jim Bagshaw
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- How the sound system gets TV program sound? is it HDMI cable or Optical cable connected between TV and sound system?

- Do you get normal sound on regular channel or disc playback?

- Do you get sound from center speaker?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, sound connection is via optical cable from a set top box through which TV signal is received. Picture is sent to TV via HDMI cable.
I get normal sound on regular channels and disc playback.
Have just checked the centre speaker and - no sound. Also just realised no sound from left or right surround speakers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid, further to last email, should mention that 'normal' TV channels are fine but when switching to digital channels the sound goes from loud to soft and often distorted. Sorry, should have told you that before.
Jim
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jim, sorry about delayed reply, was away from computer.

It seems surround sound settings in sound system, have you tried to run 'test tone' in setup menu to confirm every speaker is connected and give sound output?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried test and only left front and right front speakers work. Have checked wire connections and volume levels on all speakers and all appear to be OK. Jim
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Lets reset the system to restore default settings.

Please press Menu and select Reset then select Yes to reset the system.

Please try test tone now to see if all speakers give test tone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried reset but no change. Also tried to play music CD but sound only from left & right front speakers. Jim
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Jim, press Dolby button on remote (located at last row) to enable surround sound or use SFC (music or movie) modes to get sound on all speakers while playing a disc. Do you get proper sound now or still front speakers work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried all that - still only front speakers. Sub-woofer also nothing. Jim
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Jim, I'm out of ideas what it could be and I need to go offline now so let me repost the question and hopefully another expert will assist you further.

I'm opting out now.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying, Jim
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, that a RESET was not corrective is very significant as it would be indicative of a likely internal hardware issue.

While a likely/potential cause for the described symptom would be in the amp/output circuit board and may even be a cold solder, it is equally possible for a fault in the DSP (digital signal processing) circuit.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Also important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Louie, have had the same thoughts myself ie this is a 'meltdown' in the circuitry somewhere. Do not have the experience to delve into it myself but do know someone nearby who might be able to help.
Thanks for all your efforts.
Jim
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the post back Jim.

And yes, primary suspect would be the circuitry inside the subwoofer particularly those attached to the aluminum heatsink.

Interestingly, it has to be posted that in some instances, it may be an issue with the connectors of system cable such as a bent or missing pin while in some others, it may be a break in the systems cable itself (least likely).

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Still, great that a DIY can be attempted.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.