Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a Panasonic Plasma tv. The box is working, but when I

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Plasma tv. The Roger box is working, but when I turn on the tv, the picture comes on only for about 30 seconds, and then goes black. Then the red power button blinks for 11 times, goes black for a few seconds, and then resumes blinking.
I have tried changing the batteries in the remote and manually turning off the power for the tv, restarting it, only to have it go on for 30 seconds, and then go black again with the repeating blinking of the power button.
What should I do to fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

Any chance I can get the model number of the TV? Panasonic made a huge number of different models over the years.

It will be on the back, and also on your user manual if you have that available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model No: TC-P54VT25
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, understood. Hold on please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial No: MF01900276
July 2010
Manufacturing ID: TC-P54VT25
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

This set has a 10 blink and a 12 blink code but not 11. Are you confident that it is actually 11 blinks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just counted the red blinks again. 11. Is there a difference between 10, 11 and 12?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

11 on some sets is the fans. Let me look again at the manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I counted the blinks again. 11.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you look at the back of your TV, near the top will be three fans spaced equally across the chassis of the TV. One or more is not turning. We need to figure out which one. Once you have done that, you can buy the fan and replace it. You can buy them on AMAZON for under $17 each.

Do you need help in determining which fan it is? You can sometimes view them through the rear but more often than not, the rear cover has to come off.

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the back the tv. It is as you say hard to see the fans. There are open holes but it is still hard to see fans.
To take off the back panel, do you mean the whole panel? There are a lot of screw heads.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. There will be plenty of screws. Some of them may be different lengths so as you take them out, place them on a table in the same position as they came out.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

I was looking at a VT20 manual, not a VT25. 11 blinks is definitely fans. CLICK HERE for their location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the tv entirely around. I can now see the 3 fans. I turned the power on, and the 3 fans are working. I looked very closely. Also, I could fee the air coming out through the screen.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

If any of them are slower, caused by dust, pet hair etc. that will also trigger an 11 blink code. In other words, they don't have to be fullly stopped.

For how long does the TV stay powered up before it trips out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe 30 to 40 seconds. Are there filters that might be clogged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fans are all working.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

No. Not on this set. No filters. You definitely have one or more fans that are slower than they should be. They each have a tach wire that reports back to the A board. If the fans rotate slower than they should, the set shuts down for protection.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

I would remove the back and then examine each fan. With the set off, see how easily each one spins. If there is the slightest resistance, that's your culprit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I need to do? Do I need to get on site technical support from the store that Imbought the tv?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

How old is the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can actually see them all through the openings in the screens of the back panels, and they are all rotating well.
If I press up,closer, Imcan feel the pressure of the air that is being exhausted from each one, and they all feel the same? In other words, there is not one or two of them that is malfunctioning or performing at a lower, slower level.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

This is quite an easy job. You only need a Philips screwdriver to remove the back of the set.

If that is not something you can do, you are looking at a repair bill in the $150-$200 range just to change a $16 fan.

The TV has to be 3-4 years old, likely out of any warranty.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then the only other reason for an 11 blink is a bad diagnosis by the A board. Not likely.

In my experience, change out the fans and you will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
July 2010 is when it was manufactured. But I bought it in2011
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the type of fan? And where do I need to order them from?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

You can buy them on AMAZON for under $17 each.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hold on, the link didn't copy. It's earlier on in our conversation.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

>>>CLICK HERE<<< for the link.

I will be here even after you rate the service today. The dialog will not close so if you get the fans and need more help, we can continue.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have order 3 fans. I will replace the existing ones when I get the new ones. How do I get in touch with you again if I replace them all and the tv still does not work?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

This dialog does not close. You would reply as you have been doing.

The 11 blink code is a very simple one. Replacing the fans will fix the problem.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Steve

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

If that is all we have for today, please take a moment to rate my service. As previously mentioned, it does not close our dialog.

Thanks very much.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, did you get your fans yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. I received a confirmation. The fans at 3 for $50 were the smallest part of the cost. The delivery is $150!The staff st Bay-Bloor Radio advised me not to do the work myself. They will coordinate a service person to come to my apartment to install the fans. I hope it works.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Wow, those are basic computer fans. Why on earth would the shipping for a 1/2kg package be $150??

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

And of course I am not familiar with your expertise with a screwdriver but this is not a hard job. You are going to end up paying more than a new TV to replace a fan.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again. I notice that you have still not rated my service. It is much appreciated and it is the only way the experts like me are rewarded for our time with a percentage of your payment.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Expert:  Steve G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi. It's been a couple of weeks since we chatted. Did you get your fans?