Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I need to know how to connect a cochlear implant hearing aid

Customer Question

i need to know how to connect a cochlear implant hearing aid to emerson 50" tv to receive audio thru aid
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What's the issue that you're having exactly?

There are two ports that resemble the headphone port- only one is actually labeled "Headphone" and is the correct one. It is right next to the coaxial port on the TV.

So, what happens when you plug the hearing aid into the port labeled headphone on the TV- do the TV's speakers MUTE and does the sound come from the hearing aids?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the sound mutes but nothing comes thur the hearing aid
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If the sound mutes then this means the headphone output is indeed active on the TV, so it would seem the issue is with the hearing aid. I'm unfamiliar with this hearing aid- is there a volume control on it, and is that, as well as the TV's sound both turned up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the volume on the tv and the hearing aid areturned up
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me some more info on that hearing aid? The Cochlear implant has no cables- it's installed inside of the ear. Are you saying yours has a cable on the end of it?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, please try inserting that cable "halfway" into the headphone jack on the TV ( to the first "click"), instead of all of the way in and see if there's sound that way.

If not, then do you have another audio device (phone, mp3 player, etc.) that you can try to connect to the hearing aid as a TEST just to see if it's working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the hearing aid fit behind the ear has a port for a cable to attach to the tv. my previous tv was a samsung and i was able to connect the cord to the audio output on the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try that. the other tv did not mute the sound when the cord was connected
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This TV should mute the sound when plugged into the headphone jack. Just to clarify too- on this set, there are two jacks that resemble a headphone port. You are indeed plugged into the one labeled "Headphones" correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am plugged into the single hole jack right below the cable jack
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's the correct jack. Okay I have nothing on this, and it should be working. Why it isn't I cannot tell from here. I will opt out and perhaps another expert can assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will look for a reply on my email
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first I must say that this should work the way you tried it so I`m going to try and troubleshoot this with you instead of going throught it all again .

Now you said that this was working on a previous tv , namely a Samsung but a this point it does not mean something did not happen since then that would make this stop working .

Do you still have that tv around to try your connection ?

Do you have anything like a phone , radio or other tv that would have a headphone jack ?

If not can you go to a stereo store and plug your cable into one of their system to see if you will get sound ?

Right now the idea is to try and find out who or what is not working not if the connection is not correct , it is.

Another option would be to go to the dollar store and buy a cheap set of headphones and try them into the tv to see if that port is active