Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a lg plasma tv that has screen lock on, the remote

Customer Question

i have a lg plasma tv that has screen lock on, the remote does not work either
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions like the tv`s model number so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack, Unfortunately I cannot find the model number, I have had the tv for about ten years, there is a number on the remote, I do not know if it will help in any way MKJ32022826. It's a 52 inch screen
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Is the tv asking for a 4 digits unlock code ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it has become completely unresponsive to the remote, will not switch off even if I try put it off on the actual screen by the button. If I try and switch it off manually on the screen it just says SCREEN LOCK ON. The only way I can switch the screen off is by switching the power off at the plug in the wall.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then normally you should be able to at least turn the power off even if the functions are locked so that tells me that there may be other problems here .

Do you know that the remote is functional ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you happen to have a cell phone camera,digital camera or any camera that has a display or screen to test the remote ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to check ? Yes, I do have an lg G4 cell phone would that help
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then here is how to test your remote;
Turn on the camera and point the front of the remote at the camera lens ,then while looking at the remote through the screen press buttons on the remote.
If the remote is working, you should see light coming out the front of it while looking at it through the camera screen.
If you see nothing coming out and are not sure if you did the test correctly then try it with a known working remote.
You can look at the link below to see an example;
http://www.theremotedoctor.com/trouble_files/remote_setup2.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, there are two purple lights coming out of the remote
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then its functional and I can tell you that even if the screen or control panel was locked on the tv itself then the remote control would be able to open the menu to unlock it even if it were to ask for a pin which you can override with the master PIN 0325 .

But now if the remote has shown to be functional but the tv does not respond to it then something is wrong internally with the tv , this is not a locked situation .

Again the tv would either ask for a pin code or at least respond to the remote with a "lock" window etc.

Also the fact that you can`t even use the power ???

That doe snot look good for the TV's main board .

You did pull out the power cord for longer than a few secs did you ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it then we are looking at internal problems with the tv.

let me know how that goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will give it a go
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then and about the remote model number , I can find it all over the place but no one will say which models it belongs to .

In any case it could be some 10 or 20 different models and if that reset does not work and you want details on that main board then I will need the model number on the back cover.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I will have to step out for approx. 1 hour now so let me know how it goes and I will get back to you when I return

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as you suggested, and lo and behold it worked the first time and put the tv into standby mode when I pressed the off button on the remote, but then it froze back into the key lock mode and would do no more, I tried again to reset it but nothing. I myself am going to call it a day, getting late here in South Africa. Thank you
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then this shows a problem with the TV's main board so the next step would be replacing it but if the tv is some 10 years old then it may be a good idea to simply call it quit on this one considering the fact that the parts may be hard to find and the cost may be prohibitive compared to the price of new models nowadays.

If you wish to look into repairing this yourself then let me have the TV's model number and I`ll see what I can find as far as parts go .

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you