Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Tv is stuck on language screen, and remote doesn't work

Customer Question

Tv is stuck on language screen, and remote doesn't work anymore. Anything I can do to fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please lookup that model number again ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40rv525u
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , it may be possible to do this without the remote but let me get the manual first .

Be a couple of minutes.

In the mean time can you tell me if we are talking about the first time setup type of situation where it asks you to set up the language .channels etc. ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just happened when I turned the tv on
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k but are we talking about the tv being in a different language for example or it is asking you to setup the language

What is on the screen right now ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You said language screen , that would be the setup screen ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a first time set up thing, tv was working fine yesterday. Can't select English or any other language for that matter.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Never mind that anyway , go to the TV's left side and press the menu button , that is the second last one from the bottom .

By default it should be English but if it comes down to that then those buttons can be used to navigate through the menu

Try to get out of there by pressing the menu button and let me know

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You may also want to try INPUT to get out of there , that is the bottom button

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck....hit it/held it and nothing
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k then if you press the channel and volume buttons , do they do anything or these buttons are dead ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck there either. Already did that one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

While the menu is open normally these buttons become the arrows , enter and exit .

Now you are telling me they have no effect whatsoever ?

Does the power button work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power button works but that is the only one that does. Everything else is non responsive.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If those buttons do not work or have any effect beside the power button then the tv is likely in "control panel lock " mode , that is a tv function that is part of the parental lock .

Not sure what happened during the night but somehow it looks like its been turned on and also the first time setup .

If that is the case now I believe the only possible way to get out of there would be with the remote .

I can get you a new remote by the way but let me check a couple of thing first

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Did you ever set a PIN number or password ***** this tv ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Sounds like I'm screwed huh?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Not quite screwed if you never set a pin code

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This means that you very likely could use a universal remote that you could get locally .

This is a popular brand and just about any $10 universal remote will control it so once you have it programmed then you will be able to go in the lock menu and turn off the control panel lock

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pin, so what else? Other than buy a new one....?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you see what I typed above ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You do need a remote , no way around that if the control panel is locked but you could use a universal that you can buy at your local Walmart to do that

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link where you can get the original by the way ;

http://www.newremotecontrol.com/toshiba/catalog_item.php?catnum=75010932

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What universal remote?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You know what a universal remote is ,yes ?

Any universal remote that's says TOSHIBA TV on the box

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you have one around the house then try to program it for the tv if not then buy one for about $10 and it can always come in handy for other equipment later on as well .

If the panel is locked you need a remote

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , the first time you get into the lock menu it will ask you to set a PIN , just enter something simple like 0000

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Here is the manual for your tv , just click the link below and the lock menu info is on page 46 ;

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf/18/1726/172558-toshiba/40rv525u.pdf?7ee8c6b9aa69a827114c30700a6edf1f&take=binary

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Try this ;

Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If this does not get the tv back to normal operation then again as I said the last hope for that is trying it with a remote to unlock the panel and/or get out of that language menu.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you