Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Toshiba 50HX81 model that is going out when I first

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba 50HX81 model that is going out when I first turn it on with fuzzy picture then it resolves after a couple of minutes. would that be the lamp going out?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This type of tv does not have a lamp, it is a rear projection CRT tv.

The issue you're having could be related to aging coolant, a convergence board issue, or a video/signal board issue.

At the moment, since it is clearing up on its own, your best recourse is probably to leave well enough alone.

There is no such thing as a simple repair for these. For a simple maintenance job to clean it out and change the coolant, the very cheapest possible solution (depending on the actual cause, of course) and some initial diagnostics would put you in the $200+ range. If there is something wrong with any of the tubes or boards, that likely can't even be fixed as parts are all long discontinued. Worst case, if parts could be found, you could be in the $500+ range for repairs.

This simply isn't worth it for a tv that is already well past its service life and uses technology that is obsolete at this point.
You could buy a brand new LED flatscreen tv with 4 times the resolution (picture quality) and a fresh warranty in the same $500 price range, which will make more sense in the long run.

Personally, I'd hold onto the tv and use it as-is for as long as it lasts. It will likely continue to get worse or have another part fail soon and stop working entirely anyway, at which point it should be replaced.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.