Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a Soyo tv here that is getting power and is on, but

Customer Question

Hi Edward, I have a Soyo tv here that is getting power and is on, but there is no display.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are your questions?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You said the tv turned on but no display

Do you still have sound ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
If you are not sure then darken the room and turn the tv off and on again while you observe the screen .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound, no display. The power button on the tv just turns from red to green when you hit the power button
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is completely dark like it would be if you turned it off
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k and one last question on this ;

When you lost the picture ,at that point was there sound still ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture wasn't lost while the tv was on. The tv was turned off like normal and it wasn't until the next time I turned the tv on that there was no picture and no sound.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then in that case you are very likely looking at a missing voltage from the power board or sub-voltage on the main board that affects both the backlight inverter and audio .

At this point it would be difficult to say if there is a picture in the dark background but I would not think so.

Was looking for parts for this tv and not sure if it is due to the fact that it is getting older or not a common model but the parts are difficult to find for it.

how do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect but keep in mind that a repair shop may not be a viable idea for a tv of this size as you could be looking at well over $200 in repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been searching for schematics online to show me how to get to the backlight
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I can give you a link that will show you the backlight inverter and it will be easy to recognize it in the tv , here it is ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/soyo/mt-sytpt3727abms

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The backlighting problem could be caused by the inverter but what bugs me in this is the loss of sound , normally you`d still have sound so this tells me that there is more to it than just the inverter

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Its either the power supply missing one voltage or the main board not turning on those sub-voltages , this will require a voltmeter and troubleshooting

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No schematic or info on this tv here either