Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a LG TV # 47LN5200-UB that has sound but no picture

Customer Question

I have a LG TV # ***** that has sound but no picture or the picture is really dark . What might the problem .
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Does this happen with all inputs/sources?
Can you see the LG on screen setup menu still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant see any thing on TV it's to dark
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you hold a flashlight to the screen at about a 45 degree angle, in a dim/dark room, can you make out any picture that way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can but you can just see it
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

This indicates an internal hardware failure, meaning that the led backlighting or the power supply that drives the backlighting has failed. This is why you can see the picture there, it just isn't lit up properly.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising (this type of fault was very common with this model)(

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. A new power board is about a $75 part.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor IF the problem is the power supply.

However, this particular model had a very high failure rate of the LED assembly. If the power board didn't fix the issue, then the leds are bad - that is a difficult situation because the led assembly is bonded to the lcd panel, and that is something that cannot be fixed.

For a tv of this size, and with the risk of not being fixable, replacement may make more sense - you can get a brand new tv this size in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

===

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.