Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My parents Samsung plasma TV had rainwater get into the back

Customer Question

My parents Samsung plasma TV had rainwater get into the back of the TV through the top vents due to a leak in the roof. We unplugged it in order to let it dry out. It has been 2 weeks now, I plugged it back in and nothing... No sound, no picture. I took the back off and nothing appears to be wet or look burnt. Any suggestions what we can do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi

What is the tv doing now if anything ?
Is there a light or blinking light at the front , clicking sound from inside when you plug in the power cord or try to turn it on ?

Can you tell where the water fell ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Could you please give me the model number of this tv ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is doing absolutely nothing. When I plugged it in and tried to turn it on there was no response at all. No clicking. There is no light at the front of the TV. When o took the cover off the back and checked things out, everything looked good. I'm pretty sure that the whole inside of the back of the TV got wet.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I can tell you that water damage can be very unpredictable and there is no logic to follow when troubleshooting , there could be problems totally unrelated all over the place .

Right now it definitely seems like the power board would be the first candidate then after that it would require some serious troubleshooting.

If you have home insurance then this would be a good time to make a claim , otherwise I would call it quit unless you want to take it as a project .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

With the TV's model number I can give you links for parts if you want ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If that answers your questions for now please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to go back to their house later to get the model number.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then , no problem

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello again .

Was re-reading what was said here and if you got water all over the inside of the tv then this is a write off , do not spend a dime to try and repair it and I do not need the model number to tell you that .

Now if you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Thanks for understanding .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

AFDB