Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Looking out port on back of my tv

Customer Question

Looking for optical out port on back of my tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The optical audio out on this tv is not at the lower back but on the left rear side just below HDMI 2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is nothing below the hdmi 2 which is on the back of the tv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is nothing below the HDMI2 which is located on the back.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This is odd , it looks like there are 2 versions of that model .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you see a VGA computer input on yours ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That would be just above the component input at the back ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This is crazy , the manual I have is talking about connecting sound bars to the tv and/or turning the TV's internal speakers off but it has no audio outputs whatsoever and then I see a main board for this that has analog audio out and computer vga in .

Sorry but this baffles me and I will opt out !

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .
Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Aric here- a different Expert. This TV only uses HDMI ARC for connecting external audio equipment- OR the headphone jack. Do you see one of the HDMI ports labeled "ARC" (should be HDMI 1)? Let me know. A different type of converter is needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Your TV has a Headphone post on the back of it- t has a picture of a set of headphones. It's an 1/8" stereo jack. Do you see that one as well please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to connect a Sennheiser 840 (tv earphones) to this tv. If I just connect it to audio red/white as the instructions say, there is no sound coming through the earphones. When I connect them to an older TV's audio out, they work. So, I purchased an optical/coax digital to analog converter with a digital optical audio cable. This is when I got in trouble as the converter has an optical in which is to be connected to the optical out, but no optical out. If I connect the sennheiser to the earphone port sound does come through the earphones but then there is no sound on the tv for others to listen.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't need to see the entire question- I know there are no red and white audio OUTS on the TV (those are Input), and there is also no Optical port on this TV. As I explained above there is an 1/8" Headphone jack (which mutes the speakers when plugged into), and also an HDMI ARC (audio return channel) jack.

The thing with optical- EVEN if the TV did have it- it ALSO shuts off the TV's internal speakers since you need to shut them off in order to activate the optical jack.

So you need to try to do something different- like connecting the headphones to the cable box red and white jacks in order to get sound from both tv speakers and the headphones.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The only two audio ports on this TV are HDMI ARC, and the headphone jack.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't have a cable box, we have direct tv and the dvr in not located behind this tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then you have no options on this TV that will give you both TV speaker sound and headphone sound unfortunately. HDMI ARC works with an adapter- but shuts the TV speakers off when it use, and the headphone port (as you know) is a self-muting port. Sorry for the bad news on this one.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.