Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

TV will not come on and red light keeps flashing.

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack, I hope you can help
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , sure hope so .

Right now can you look at the bliking light and tell me if there is a pattern like for example 5 blinks/pause/5 blinks and so on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blinks 7 times and stops with a count of 2 then back to 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen is solid black.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack, where are you?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then i`m afraid the 7 blinks count is quite common for this model and is not good news .

This point to 3 defective boards or at least 3 boards that get replaced at the same time , namely the SC (y-sustain) board , then its buffer boards SU and SD .

Altogether you are looking at well over $200 in parts and if working on this is not your cup of tea then you are looking at upwards of $400 to have this repaired at home.

This is a 50" tv that is nearly 5 years old so i would think rwice before investing that kind of money into it while you can get a new 50 n" plasma for around $500 now

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Still , If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

Also, if you`d like a second opinion on this then I would suggest taking the tv to a shop yourself , many shops will give you a free or low cost repair estimate if you take the tv there yourself.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you and you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that. I have not had it 5 years and purchased it from Military Exchange.
My last TV lasted for 22 years. Todays product is not worth much is it?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Certainly not made to last like the old Sony`s

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not paying for a phone call when you have already given me an answer.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You must have received one of those automated phone offer from the website , never mind that , wasnt from me

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help to decide your next move and it is still cheaper than a tech. at home to the tune of $125 for the same diagnostic

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.

Thank you