Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  3 years experience
15852642

I have a Samsung 50" plasma TV, model HP-T5054, that has no

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 50" plasma TV, model HP-T5054, that has no sound and no picture. I can hear it power up with a click and electronic sound, and I can hear it click off with an off sound but that's it. Is there any I can do to find the problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, There's lots of things that can cause this- the most common being a faulty power supply board.

However bad sustain boards, shorted driver board or bad mainboard can also cause this problem.

To narrow it down further, we need to know a few more things-

1) Was the TV ever hard to power up or shut itself off in the past?

2) Did this occur after a storm or power outage?

3) Does the power light start blinking after it shuts down?

4) Do you have a multi-meter and have you ever tested voltages before?

Please elaborate and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I picked up the TV for free at a garage sale. The original owners said it was working fine one day and then, I thought they said the sound went out. But now I have it home and plugged in and I can't get picture or sound.I'm an electrician on boats and houses and have all the gear but I'm not up my electronics. I'm willing to dive in though with some direction.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on my way to give that a try. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Let me know if the screen lights up, if the audio turn on chimes- or if the power light starts blinking after it clicks off please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Any luck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen did not light up. The audio chimes happen when I push the on/off button but no audio in the TV speakers. The power light, under the on/off button, blinks 5 times when I power it up and it does blink at all when I power it down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesn't blink at all when turning off.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay. The power supply jumps out at me as being the cause of this. That chime should be coming from the TV's speakers. You're saying the set essentially responds to the power button- clicks on- but no light to the screen, then it clicks back off- is this correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The power-on sound, chimes somewhere. It sounds to me internal, rather than from the speakers. The power-off chime is only heard when I push the power-off button. There is no glow or light at all on the main screen. Only the little blue light under the on/off button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one has contacted me yet.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** another expert - and I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Do you have a multimeter so that we can measure some voltages?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi-meter.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I need to grab the manual and come up with a testing sequence for you. Give me 15 mins if you would please.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't done so already, remove the back from the TV so that we can test some things.

Thanks.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

First thing would be to do a visual inspection of the chips on the Y buffer boards. I have indicated those >>>HERE<<<

Take a close look for any that may be cracked or exploded. Sometimes, a small pinhole will indicate that the chip has failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, All the chips look good on the Y buffer boards. No burns, cracks or pin holes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's next?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I have been unable to complete this request. I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in.

Hold on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. Hopefully I'll hear from someone soon. -Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, I'm still waiting for someone to help me with my TV problem. Will a tech be contacting soon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will anyone be helping me??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Steve, It's been 4 days. Still no help.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. When you turn it on and hear the click does the power light flash at all while it is clicking? I know you were already asked if it was blinking before it turned off. Where on the TV does the click sound like it is coming from if you listen closely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy, When I press the on/off button, the relay or whatever it is, clicks immediately. Then the light around the on/off button begins flashing. On the second flash, you can hear the power up tone coming through the speakers. In all, the light flashes 5 times. When I push the on/off button again to turn it off, the power-off tone happens then the relay clicks off. The click is coming from the power module in the center of the TV.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

5 flashes means there is a power issue, have you checked the power supply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I had a hunch it was a power supply issue but I don't know how to check it. Where do I start?
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way to start is to check the caps and resistors with a multi meter. They will say the voltages on them. If you are not sure how to do that use this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1mZUYA0cs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I watched the video. All of his components were removed from the TV. Mine are still in the TV. Is there a way to test the circuitry while the components are still in place?
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

The easiest and best way is to remove the board to test it from the bottom. Doing it without removing it can give you improper readings.

Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

You do not need to remove the components just the board itself and test from their connections on the bottom of the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. I'll start there.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, let me know the results when you can. If you are lucky you will be able to just replace one of the caps. If not you may need to replace the entire power supply.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I think this is a futile. I could test these little parts until the cows come home. I don't even know what I'm looking for. I'll just ask for my money back and take this TV to the dump.