Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung 55" TV that recently made a pop sound, a

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 55" TV that recently made a pop sound, a little smoke and no more video. I've looked under the hood and there are no obvious issues. No blown capacitors. None that are swollen or cracked or leaking. No apparent scar marks. I removed the power board and took a few pictures as well in hopes of finding something online that would show examples of bad power boards but havent seen anything of value. Any suggestions that would help avoid bringing it to a shop?
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome

Is there any power-light lit or blinking on the front of the set please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to put the tv back together to test that.

Yes please do that let me know how the set behaves and the condition of the power-light thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it may be a day or so...I put it back together but I had taken the tv out to my shed to work on it where I typically have to run an extension cord out there for power. The extension cord is no good and I dont have another long enough. Since the tv is 55" i cant carry it back into the house myself at the moment. Im going to get a new extension cord...not a cheap one from Harbor Freight this time :p
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I send you the photos of the tv somehow for you to look at in case something obvious jumps out at you?

Its very unlikely that something is physical to see and touch when parts go bad they go bad internally and are checked with a meter so its not what you think or how you think something goes bad electronically so the photo wont help what I need is info about the power-light then what will be useful is if you can get a voltmeter/ohm meter from somewhere so checks on that powerboard can be made we then move on from that point, and for a 55 inch set that will be a good thing to do

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have a voltmeter so when the time comes I can check ... just not sure how to use it :)

I will help you with all that

Let me know when ready no rush

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a quick update. I have the tv in house now and was able to plug it in and try turning it on. There were no lights at all and I didnt hear anything to indicate it even tried to turn on.